PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Oklahoma

crackerjack
03-02-2007, 03:34 AM
Hi, my name is Allan, I've been reading the forum threads for a few months and feel I'm finally ready to come out of my shell. Want to say that I really respect everyone here, some wonderful music I've heard so far.

About me, hmm. Well, I write music for a living, though I feel I have so very much to learn. I've put out three albums with my exprimental art rock band. We're doing fairly well and/but I've started getting jobs writing for some animation projects (currently, a five minute Disney T.V. short...) and I absolutely know zero people who compose for multimedia, so in essence, you are my peers.

I bought the Gold XP and Boesndorf piano about three months ago. I run Protools and Reason on a dual G5 and I'm finally feeling like I'm getting the hang of it. I own Logic, but have learned everything on Protools via RTAS and I'm absolutley lost on Logic.

I thank the EWQL guys for giving us these great samples and keeping them secure. I own thousands of very mediocre samples but up until now, the only samples I could stomach using were the few I recorded myself.

I write by my own methods and understandings (non-traditional), and only read standard notation when I have to teach (I barely get away with it). I'm basiclally chord theory and ear.

Some Favs in groups and composer's style : Beach Boys, Morricone, Lee Hazelwood, Elfman, Mercury Rev, Tchacovski, Esquivel. But honestly, I like songs more than artists. I'm sure we all do. Currrently love Strausss Jr's "Eqyptian March".

Anyways, I hope to get to know you guys, I do think I'm the only Okie who's into this....

take care

Allan V

DallasComposer
03-02-2007, 10:37 AM
:o Welcome aboard 'ole friend north of the Red River.

Nash
03-06-2007, 01:42 AM
Welcome Allan!

Writing music for living. Sounds great!

Enjoy this forum :D

crackerjack
03-06-2007, 04:21 AM
Yeah, barely. I do help produce and record local musicians that I like, but I've only charged a few.
Income derives of three places.

1. Movies (songs from my group.....mostly corny movies though....recently "Barnyard" and "Van Wilder 2)

2. Television (MTV/VH1...they use this one song on all their *@# reality shows...I think someone there likes us..... may be a bad sign)

3. Performing live

Sorry so pessamistic, I know a few good people in the buisness. But I'm having a hard time trying to pitch some of my orchestral works, and that's pretty much why I bought GOLD XP. After having it a few months, I'm craving more samples from the other libraries, but man, it's tough to afford.....but easy to dream about.

I think the future is buying extremely particular samples.... their are so many articulations at various tempos....It's impossible to create precisely what you hear in your head.....but I think combining libraries with actual performance of one or more real players/instruments is a neccesity at this point. I mean to get that "unique" sound.

I'm curious, if there are tempos the East West guys used to record some of the FX portions of the libraries. I should post a new thread about it. Maybe I skipped it in the manual, I really doubt it though.

Thanks for replying Nash, i really like the "Red Army". Great build up to the "choirs". I need that lib soon.

keep in touch

Allan

fongi
03-06-2007, 02:34 PM
Hi Allan, nice to have you aboard I was in Oklahoma and spent a bit of time in Witchita too bit different from here but I kind of liked it anyway, good luck with the CD sales. Chris :D