PDA

View Full Version : An American in Paris

maswot
03-12-2007, 07:38 AM
Hi everyone,

My name is Marc, I'm from New York, currently residing in France and working up until recently as a film maker. I was a rock n' roll guitar player in a previous life, a long time ago in a galaxy far far away when I still had hair and looked like a Wookie. About a decade or so ago I got into film scoring, and after hanging around with film people long enough I eventually got coopted into writing and directing films over here in Europe. Unlike the music business, where for me it was always hard to make ends meet even under the best of times, the film world was a cornucopia of opportunities. The drawback was that I was so busy I didn't have time to compose anymore, not even for my own films!

A few months back I decided to take a hiatus and put my old studio back together. That was a sobering experience. All those racks of synths and samplers, ready for the dustbin of history. On the positive side, I now have the equivalent of the entire VSO on my harddrive, for less than I paid for my DX7. Man, it's good to be alive today.

- Marc (maswot)

fongi
03-14-2007, 05:14 PM
Welcome Marc, hey itīs good to be alive any day. ;)

rimskykorsakov
03-14-2007, 05:54 PM
Hi Marc ,

I think it is pretty cool that you can express yourself in both worlds : picture and sound ...
( ... well , ... with all the limitations of the industry ... ).

Hope you have lots of fun again with writing music !

Best regards

Gerd

P.S.: ... Funny that you named your post "An american in Paris , 'cause I just watched that movie this evening again.

Nash
03-21-2007, 06:41 AM
Hi Marc,

Enjoy this great forum. Very interesting that you are in France. I've been in Paris before and I like it to be honest:D
Welcome