PDA

View Full Version : Nightfall - New Piece

Mills2k
06-15-2005, 12:28 AM
A short 5 minute orchestral piece. A little bit of movie music crept in :rolleyes:. hehe. Anyways! Enjoy! Looking for feedback!

Nightfall (http://web.mit.edu/mrmiller/www/Dream1-02.mp3)

Done in EWQLSO Platinum, though I really have not even scratched the surface of the library.

Oh man, what I would do to have a system that could play back all the instruments at once. At this point, I'm doing each instrument standalone and then saving each mic position to a separate wave file. So of course I don't get the volumes anywhere near right, because my computer isn't fast enough to handle the MIDI and the WAVs. In fact, my computer can't even handle playing all the tracks at once when they're saved as WAVs... how sad. Anyways, enjoy, despite some terrible post-processing to try and get the volumes worked out.

drew
06-15-2005, 10:40 AM
That's some pretty good stuff considering all the trouble you have to go through. I wouldn't have that much patience! You've got some interesting ideas going on but I felt it could have been filled out a little more in places. Love that platinum sound. Understand your frustration. I'm dying to get platinum but it's pointless until I have the hardware that can support it.

Sicmu
06-15-2005, 12:07 PM
I like the chords of the introduction that lead to the allegro and the theme by the trumpets but then, instead to keep the driving tempo you change the mood, the drive is broken and the thematic material is no more used but this rythmic trombone motif. Sounds like Michael Daugherty sometimes.
I think you have something original to say but I hardly understand the coherence of your musical developement, maybe it's because I'm old fashioned !

Mills2k
06-15-2005, 12:13 PM
hahaha... yeah, I haven't quite gotten the hang of this coherent development thing ;) . Currently, this is a short version of the final piece, and I'm trying to decide whether I really want to develop it more or not. I could certainly expand it into at least a 10 minute piece with all the material I've currently got. The question is, would it benefit from this expansion? Right now, it's very overture like, jumping between ideas fairly quickly. Anyways, thanks for the feedback :D . More! More! More! :rolleyes:

Mills2k
06-17-2005, 08:58 AM
More suggestions? Should I extend it? Like it? Don't like it? Anything?

vogelscheiss
06-17-2005, 09:24 AM
I think maybe you've got some kind of cancellation going on in your brass parts, perhaps some kind of phase thing? If you're having to work the way you describe, I'd make getting hold of a faster computer absolute priority 1. You're going to cripple your ability to take advantage of the library, for instance the difficulty you mention with even managing volumes. To the degree coherence concerns have been pointed out I think a computer capable of playing your whole piece live would be enormously helpful. Might help you unknot and develop interesting things in your piece.

--Chuck

More suggestions? Should I extend it? Like it? Don't like it? Anything?

Mills2k
06-17-2005, 09:31 AM
Yeah, I'm not sure what's going on with the loud stuff, particularly going into that first tutti section. There's some weird muffling going on, and clipping of some sort, though I don't know from what, because no individual track is clipping, and on the surround6to2 mix I'm normalizing it as well. I'll have to look into it more. Also, later on, just the glockenspiel track sounds like it's clipping inexplicably, because I didn't mess with the volumes on that. Another thing I'll have to look into.

And yes, I'm working on getting a computer/computers to deal with this issues :D . Technically, I've heard the whole piece through in that I compose in Finale, though.

Thanks a bunch! :)

fitchmicah
06-17-2005, 11:32 AM
Your reverb isn't consistent. For example, some of the bells and percussion instruments ring for like 2 seconds while some of your solo horns only ring for a fraction of a second. Also, I would suggest using some more group sections and make your harmony lines more subtle, quantize them and maybe even make them more rhythmic or something. The second half is cool! Keep it up and good luck. I'm getting gold in the mail (hopefully today) and I'm really excited.

Micah Fitch

Mills2k
06-19-2005, 01:14 AM
Yeah, I'm currently working on expanding it, and there's gonna be more tutti sections; taking your advice :D. About the reverb though... I didn't add any reverb, and all three mics are mixed in the same way. Glockenspiels naturally resonate for longer than a horn, because the note is not being muffled after the duration, so it's technically still ringing. Is it disturbing enough that I should try to do something about it?

In terms of differentiating the background parts and making them more rhythmic, that's a very good idea that I'm going to keep in mind when I mix the final version; just gotta finish writing it first ;) . In terms of quantizing it though, what do you mean?

Manvel
06-19-2005, 02:06 AM
hmm interesting piece. some of the notes of the strings seem weird at parts but maybe that was ur intention? overall the track sounds like its jumping all over the place with sounds and instruments. pretty cool.

manvel

MusicFan
06-22-2005, 10:52 PM
Hey there Mill2sk,

As someone who has only acquired EWQLSO this week, I can't comment on your technique, but I really like this piece artistically! While it encompasses many moods, I can see it working for the most part in a whacky comedy movie - something lke "Mouse Hunt" with Nathan Lane. Or perhaps the "Home Alone" series.

You're definitely on to something great! Thanks for sharing! :)

...MusicFan...

Mills2k
06-23-2005, 06:03 PM
Thanks so much :D! It certainly is whacky! I'm currently working on expanding it actually... the 5 minutes there are probably gonna end up somewhere around 10 or 15, I'm expecting.

Thanks so much for listening and commenting though! Especially for a post that was somewhat old... that's awesome :). Now I'm waiting for something of yours to take a gander at.

IlogicRobine
06-24-2005, 08:06 PM
Just registered and this is the first thread i ever read and reply here,
man i'm gonna love this place.
I love the piece a lot !
Although i don't have EWQLSO yet (so can't comment on the technical part ),
as a musician i would say the ideas are pretty good ,
i need it to last more !!!! Plz!!
Can't wait to listen to the new parts , go on !! Congratulations !

Cheers ;-)

Mills2k
06-26-2005, 01:58 AM
Thanks a bunch :D ! I'm workin' on it!