PDA

View Full Version : That So-Called "Sucking Sound"

Journeyman
04-09-2005, 07:00 AM
Greetings,

I've seen a lot of people refer to the so-called "sucking sound" in several of these sampled orchestral forums. They speak of it as if it were some strange mysterious thing that just "somehow happens" to orchestral samples.

It's no mystery to anyone who's ever done even an elementary amount of programming on any synth or sampler. The "sucking sound" that everyone refers to is simply the result of a slow Attack speed coupled with a quick Release speed in the amplitude envelope; both of which can be easily edited in almost any sampler. Remember that when the developers programmed these sampled orchestral sounds, they couldn't possibly program every sound to work perfectly in every conceivable musical situation. When a preset sound has that so-called "sucking sound" in a particular passage, you have to get out of the "preset mindset", and just edit the amplitude envelope(s) for the problematic sound(s). That's why they give the user access to the editing controls.

Lee Blaske
04-09-2005, 07:49 AM
That doesn't work if the sample itself has a slow attack.

DPK
04-09-2005, 07:59 AM
http://www.soundsonline-forums.com/showthread.php?t=76

:p

Journeyman
04-09-2005, 08:56 AM
That doesn't work if the sample itself has a slow attack. Lee,

If the sample itself has an attack that's too slow, then you've chosen the wrong sample or articulation for the passage. And if your library doesn't have another sample or articulation that works properly with the passage, then your sample library is deficient. Though there are often workarounds for certain deficiencies in sample libraries, you can't make a square peg fit in a round hole. But I also wanted to point out that half of thet "sucking" component is the fast Release time.

Journeyman
04-09-2005, 09:01 AM
DPK,

I'm not sure what you're trying to tell me by linking me back to your original post. Yes, the retrigger parameter helped somewhat, but didn't completely alleviate the problem. Why not just edit the amp envelope so that it works better? Don't expect every preset to work perfectly out of the box for everything. It's a very simple edit to make, so why not do it?

DPK
04-09-2005, 10:31 AM
Don't expect every preset to work perfectly out of the box for everything. It's a very simple edit to make, so why not do it?

Umm, I donít and I did... That was the point of my post in the first place. Thought it might be helpful to some...

I'm not sure what you're trying to tell me by linking me back to your original post.

Well, to be perfectly honest, I thought hijacking my thread on the topic was rude... As though it wasnít even worthy of a direct response. Whatever.

I probably should have posted about it in the tips section anyway, someone might have found that information at least somewhat helpful in creating more realistic legato passages.

dk

Journeyman
04-09-2005, 10:46 AM
DPK,

At first I started to respond in your original thread, and then realized that my feelings on my the subject of the "sucking sound" were addressed to everyone, and part of a "bigger picture"; so I honestly saw nothing wrong with posting my response in a separate thread with it's own Subject Line, and giving you the link to it. I don't understand how that qualifies as "hijacking", and why you might've taken offense. It wasn't as if my comments were unrelated to the subject matter. No harm intended.

To make matters worse, I evidentally misunderstood that apparently you were posting a tip and not asking for help. The fact that the Retrigger parameter didn't fully solve the problem led me to believe that you were still inquiring as to how to improve the situation further. Thus, I endeavored to give what I considered to be a more definitive solution to the problem, rather than your workaround which only partially addressed the issue. It was not my intention to be rude; just informative and helpful.

Liam
04-09-2005, 10:50 PM
It shouldn't always be looked at as a "sucking sound" in every case. Sometimes in slower passages people are intentionally going for a more flowing swaying effect. Many live players do this as well to add emotion to a slow dramatic piece.