PDA

View Full Version : having lurked nervously for nearly a year...

jlw5150
04-19-2007, 03:26 AM
I thought I'd take the plunge and say hello.

My name is Jay Williams and i probably fit the bill for amature dabbler. (I live in Cambridge, UK)

Have been playing guitar in bands for years.

but this is nothing to do with my Orchestral dabblings.

Bought Gold about a year ago - have struggled with every problem i've read here: it took me a month to figure out how to load it! PC broke and lost in the post for 2 months, didn't back up and lost months of work, hated everything i'd done and deleted it, suffered/ing from lack of musical knowledge...lack of RAM...lack of confidence...a very sorry list.

Anywas, I feel like i'm getting on my feet now. what i want from all this? - have to say that i'm still getting a kick out of the cellos at 2 in the morning on my headphones while the rest of the world/uk is sleeping - but I want to play this stuff live - me, a drumer a PC and a guitar.

this dream may well be a long way off as it's taken me a year to write anything I feel even vagualy happy with but hey - I'm in a busy band churning out more than an album a year, and I have a 2 year old son - TIME HOOVERS!

Anyways - I just finished this - live drums and guitar - there's way too much bass/everything in it - oh man do i have a lot of questions! I think the start drags and the chords change too deliberatly - but i like it when it gets going about 1.40: I may well lop the front off.

Go easy on me, I'm a big chap but quite sensitive! (It's supposed to be sad.)

:o

righty ho, I look fwd to listening to more music from this site, perhaps chatting to some of you and slow releasing my questions.

Cheers, Jay

http://brook.apu.ac.uk:8080/ramgen/jay/130889.mp3
or
http://web.anglia.ac.uk/vids/jasontest/01%20-%20jmix.mp3

do these work for you?

nikolas
04-19-2007, 03:55 AM
Jay,

The 2nd one works, the first one no.

Welcome :)

The song really rocks! You have managed to mix the orchestra with live drums and guitar and bass, and it all works miraculously well! well done on this mate!

Just a small comment that the begining is extremely quiet, I did not notice it until aruond 20 secs after... (could use some crash here and there in the drums I reckon). but the playing is superb, the chords as well, the production as well.

I would love to have written this. ;)

Take care mate...

Nikolas

Thomas Regin
04-19-2007, 03:58 AM
Hey Jay,

Welcome on (the) board! :)

I think most of us here have been through many of the initial problems you describe.

I am listening to your JMIX-tune. Couldn't get the other one to work. Probably something preventing me from streaming it.

I like your style. It's very "rocker writes classical" in a good way. Not a lot of thought put into the actual orchestration, but going with exactly what works! Love the piece starting around 5:15. It just keeps getting better and better! Nice mixture with the classical orchestra. Not many people can pull something like that off! Honestly!

I also enjoyed the beginning of your JMIX with the piano-riff increasing in tempo. Probably impossible to play in real life, but it worked very well here.

All in all, I don't think you have to worry about your skills with the orchestra at all. From what I've heard here, it seems that you've pretty much found your style and we really need more people here who can combine the EWQLSO with a rock band.

Looking forward to hearing more of your music! :)

Cheers,

/Tom..

jlw5150
04-19-2007, 04:05 AM
cheers guys.

the links are to the same tune but on diff servers. will get something proper sorted soon.

I must have posted the verison I had with 20 secs dead air on the front end. oops.

Jay

fongi
04-30-2007, 01:26 PM
Hi Jay, good to know you´ve given up lurking out there and are now on the inside ! :D

Kaatza_Music
05-01-2007, 07:24 PM
Hello, Jay,

Welcome. Nice to make your acquaintance!

I worked with MIDI for years with external synths but it took me many months to make the transition to a completely computer based system using sample libraries. Many frustrating days staring at the screen and my DAW not making a sound.

Nice piece you posted. You have some interesting harmonic progressions and the transition to the guitar was unexpected. Surprises are good :D

Leon
AKA "The Katz" :cool:

White Noise
05-02-2007, 03:16 AM
Ahhh Jay my friend... Welcome to this Broken Family. Glad you finally made it onto the forum mate.

Nash
05-11-2007, 05:23 AM
:D YAY! Welcome to forum!
Enjoy

Nash