PDA

View Full Version : Setting up another DAW, syncing, etc...

IvanP
04-10-2005, 09:13 AM
Hi there!

I am setting up a second DAW and I have litteraly no idea where to start... I have been surfing the forums but I can't figure out what is the best thing to do... so I'd appreciate some help

I would like to use Giga3+samples and Several VSTis + Cubase Sx2 as a Sequencer.

Current PC: P4 2.4, 2 Gig Ram, One Scope audio card (creamware pulsar) 2x120 Gb HD Sata 7200
Second PC: 3.4, 2 Gig Ram 3x250 Gb Hd Sata 7200
Yamaha o1V
Behringer A/D D/A converter

1) Win XP or Win 2003?
I have heard that Win 2003 handles HD speed a lot faster... how does it works with audio?

2) Which one as the 2nd pc?
The point is: which one for sequencing/ recording audio / VSTis?

3) A)How to separate the different libraries?
B) How to run them? (as stand alone, VST, etc...)

SPECIALLY GOLD AND GOLD PRO, what would you suggest me to run on one and on another in order to get a good poliphony? (strings and brass separated, etc...)

and the difficult part (for me):

4) How to sync midi and audio?

Do I have to Use Fx teleport?
Do I need any additional audio hardware? Which one would u recommend?
I currently have two screens, do I need another two for the second pc or can I switch from one to another?

I know it's quite a lot but while I try to figure out myself, I will appreciate some help
Thks a lot!

Iván

amo
04-10-2005, 09:47 AM
Hi Ivan,

I don't have all the answers for you, but one or two advices. I would put the sequencer on the strongest DAW first, since the sequencer itself ests quite a lot of ressources. Then I did experience Fxteleport, and it is really nice, working quite perfectly, and for me the easiest way to go instead of using some Spdif or so, having tracks recordings at all time etc.... Fxteleport makes it as if you really had just one computer, and you can load a lot cause there is no sequencer running on the slave.
My 2 cents,

Best,

Amaury

IvanP
04-10-2005, 10:06 AM
Merci Amaury!

I have though a question regarding Fx teleport: It is meant to sync Midi.... but also audio?

How is it possible to load some instances of VSTis into a second computer with no audio card and get sound out of it to the main daw? I guess that in terms of polyphony and horse power, the audio card, in the 1st daw will still process everything, so my guess is that using the 2nd slave daw will save on memory, but not on polyphony, am I right?

And how does it works with Non Vst programs like Gigastudio?

Thks!!

amo
04-10-2005, 10:15 AM
AS far as I know, audio is carried threw the network as well with FxTeleport, it means all the CPU and RAM process of a VSTi opened on the slave is operated on the slave, and in your master computer running the sequencer, you have a track with the plugin loaded as usual, so it takes a track on the DAW, but no CPU or RAM power. Is that clear ?
Basically what happens is you have a normal menu with all your VSTis and VST effects on the master computer, AND a second one with all the FxTeleport VSTis and VST effects installed on the second computer. Those open as normal, but are processed on the slave. Midi and audio are carried by the network. Go on their website, maybe it is clearer, and also you can download a demo. Hope that helps,

I don't know about Giga Sampler. You may have to synchronise threw your sound cards, not sure about that....

Best,

Amaury

IvanP
04-10-2005, 10:28 AM
Sounds great and really cool :)

Merci bien!

Iván