PDA

View Full Version : New Silent film

josejherring
06-20-2005, 10:41 AM
Don't know what the forum rules are about posting demos in the demo section that are also in competition so if it's in violation feel free to delete this thread.

I'm doing a new movie about a cute little dog named Mr. Winkle. Apparently Mr. Winkle is quite a celebrity selling post cards and calenders and all sorts of little things.

The movie is designed to sell to the same market.

I've create the main theme here: http://www.broadjam.com/bottomnav/player.asp?play_file=19278_149106&sessionID=C4BB0CBA205A4A91B9BE845D4908A367&sessionINDEX=23029

The problem that I'm having is that the movie is a silent film where Mr. Winkle takes over and interacts with a roaming gypsy style circus. The music has to carry the whole film. So far I've narrowed the main theme down to the link above, but I'm kind of at a little loss for the rest of the movie.

Does anybody know of any quirky type circus music that doesn't sound like Barnum and Baley? Sounds more European and Gypsy like. Not too modern or electronic but maybe more like Kurt Weill type stuff or Nino Rota's "I Clown".

Jose

josejherring
06-20-2005, 03:25 PM
Of course any comments on the main theme would be helpful too.

Jose

DaveWalton
06-20-2005, 05:10 PM
Hi,

I think you're off to a good start. I've never done anything (yet) with this kind of theme but I'd like to.

To answer your question about quirky circus music, there is nothing better than the music to the various shows of Cirque du Soleil (www.cirquedusoleil.com).

Good job and good luck!

Dave

Evan
06-21-2005, 05:36 AM
Yeah i liked your main theme, so far i think youve got my vote for the contest...but as far as quirky circus music....i think the best thing to do would rely on the orchestration to make it quirky..i would be thinking of "what would Jon Brion do with Circus Music?".

In case you havent heard of him(but Im sure you have) he did eternal sunshine of the spotless mind.

Probably not much help, but maybe listening to some Brion could get you in the mood ;)

josejherring
06-21-2005, 08:56 AM
Thanks Evan. I'll check him out.

I'm working on the second cue for the movie. I think I'm going to call it Il Clown (1m2). I like your idea about orchestration. I'm headed in that direction now.

Cheers,

Jose

lux
06-22-2005, 07:43 AM
Jose,

the main theme is nice and the variations you give it are nice too. Somehow I feel the arrangement to be a bit too minimalist to carry the entire thing in some parts, maybe a bit of more percussion and bass could move a bit.

I suggest you to check also the sound used on main violins line (I would use rather 11 violins or a more lyrical and definite articulation) to give them a more realistical feel.

Its a nice musical idea, and has some surreal magic feeling, so I guess it suits well your expectations.

Luca

josejherring
06-22-2005, 09:02 AM
Jose,

the main theme is nice and the variations you give it are nice too. Somehow I feel the arrangement to be a bit too minimalist to carry the entire thing in some parts, maybe a bit of more percussion and bass could move a bit.

I suggest you to check also the sound used on main violins line (I would use rather 11 violins or a more lyrical and definite articulation) to give them a more realistical feel.

Its a nice musical idea, and has some surreal magic feeling, so I guess it suits well your expectations.

Luca

Thanks Luca,

Made the changes. Sounds pretty good.

Jose :)