PDA

View Full Version : Kind of a horror kind of a thing

DaveWalton
06-21-2005, 05:01 PM
Slow moving harp arpeggio with eerie light strings eventually gives way to a harsh, electronica-type deal before fading away. Just a couple minutes long. Uses Gold and Stylus RMX.

Here's the scene...

A hiker who was previously mauled by a rabid dog, staggers out into the roadway where he gets hit by the car driven by the main characters. Mr. Hiker is really having a bad day. Since everyone in the car has been smoking pot and one of them is in medical school, they ultimately make the decision to take the hiker with them to the cabin and try and deal with his injuries without nosey people like, oh say, police getting in their way and asking a lot of questions. This is the background music to the huge argument out in the middle of nowhere about what they should do, what they want to do, and what they ultimately decide they have to do (take him to the cabin). Sorry... no ambulance for you Mr. Hiker.

Fun quiz: Can you spot the part where Mr. Hiker regains conciousness just long enough to roll over to reveal that his face has been pretty much bitten off? :D

Dave

www.DaveWaltonMusic.com/MyMusic/DifficultDecisions.mp3

Andrew Sigler
06-21-2005, 08:32 PM
Frankly, this is probably one of the most practicle and usable pieces of music I've heard on this site. It's not a big flashy cue, but it IS what you'd hear in the vast majority of a movie. I'm listening to it as I type and it's as though I'm in a film!

...as opposed to listening to a piece FOR film...

It probably won't get many votes, but it should!

However, this is not a contest for best film score. It's a contest about using the sound libraries in the most effective way....

we'll see!

-Andy

sebaa241
06-22-2005, 06:43 AM
I like the electronica riff.

The piece works good as it is but I would personally like to hear some more ominous low string-crescendos or something similar (I come to think of Howard Shores score to Se7en). Perhaps some low-end clusters would give the scene a more sense of that "something aint right"-feeling.

I would like some dynamic change in the high strings from 1:08 to 1:32. Some rise and fall in dynamics and with a crescendo leading into the electronica riff at 1:32.

With some fleshing out (perhaps more instruments and variation) it would also work great as a main title cue for a thriller movie, but as underscore this is pretty good.

Nice job.

/Sebastian

DaveWalton
06-22-2005, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the comments. My chief aim at posting is to see if I accomplished my primary purpose (it's an underscore, it's a main theme, whatever) and to get second opinions on what might be done to improve the piece. So thanks for the affirmation on the underscore thing and also thanks for the suggestions - I will use those and make some of those changes (primarily the issue with dynamics - my arch nemisis). :-)