PDA

View Full Version : Taking the jump...

dougjb
07-13-2007, 08:38 AM
Hi all, not sure if this is the correct section to post this in but....

I'm about to take the jump and "chuck in" my full-time job to go to film school to study Film Composition at this place (on acceptance of course):

http://www.nftsfilm-tv.ac.uk/?module=Course&course_id=146

The course is an MA lasting 2 years....it's been a difficult decision to make, as I've been working in my free time as a composer, but not yet achieving the status of a full-time composer. A few of my credits are here:

http://www.framelightmedia.com
Just wondered if anyone had any similar stories to tell where they have taken the jump...success or not success??

Advice is of course much welcome.

Cheers,

Doug

fongi
07-13-2007, 02:21 PM
The first question that arises is, can these people teach composition? may sound a little odd but having read the curriculum I get the impression they are showing the way for people who are competent composers, what is studying film composition supposed to mean, I mean you have to study composition first right ?
If you can then cut it as a composer you can later try your hand at film scoring. I donīt want to dampen your enthusiam or anything but that does seem like a natural progression donīt you think ? Chris :D

dougjb
07-16-2007, 10:36 AM
Hi Chris, this sounds exactly what Im after. I agree, i dont think it is possible to "teach" composition - I feel that I'm at the stage where I can only develop my composition skills, I was more interested in learning the practical and business side of film composition - would be great to be around people who want to work in the industry. I studied Music as a Degree here in the UK but found it pretty uninspiring stuff.

fongi
07-16-2007, 04:23 PM
I studied also in the UK at the Royal College of Music, I learned a lot but once I started actually "doing it" I learnt a lot more, I guess thatīs what one calls experience right?

dougjb
07-17-2007, 05:00 AM
Absolutely, I learnt most of the techniques for film scoring by actually writing music for productions. I'm finding it very hard to "break in" to doing fully paid work. My rationale for going back to college is to be amongst a strong network of film makers and crew - something which I'm not a part of at the moment.

Virtuozo
07-17-2007, 11:58 AM
hmmm... this NFTS thing sounds pretty good. I hadn't heard of it before. I might consider going there actually (after I finished my Music degree ... which I haven't started yet :D). I can't find any pictures of the school though. But I might go up there and have a look myself. They don't have any OpenDays though!