PDA

View Full Version : Older but hopefully getting wiser

Dag6
07-22-2007, 04:28 PM
Hello all!

I first of all want to appologize for not introducing myself earlier and for posting korny, amatuerish, gushing praise for EWQL... In hind sight, I think it came across as passive aggressive or something. Anyway, it is the first time I have ever had a post removed from a forum... anywhere. It was a wake up call and I will be careful and spartan with my posts in the future.

As the title suggests, I have been into computer based music pre-midi and am particularly interested in algorithmic compositional tools. I have been in software development for 25 years in various companies and capacities. I met Jim Miller(anyone remember Personal Composer?) at his place here in Seattle and have been dabbling in midi software off and on since. I have also raised 4 children, been divorced, still working hard in the insanely time consuming software industry so my musical endeavors are geekly hobbiest at best.

I still play but rarely perform music (guitar) outside of studios. I finally got a Roland VG-33 that allows for midi triggering of sounds from a guitar. So I am interested in EWQL products from a triggering/performance angle, a written note perspective (Finale compositions) and from a rather unique, custom software perspective (my home brew algorithmic compositional tools).

I hope this helps explain my weird a$$ tech support questions about controlling things from midi only. It should also shed some light on how someone could post something like the "appreciation month" post. The night I wrote it I had made a small break through in my custom midi software and was just elated with the results that were coming out of my laptop configured EWQL products. Now mind you, I have been toying and tweaking this software for years running various hardware synths, samplers, etc. with varying success. I have put it aside for years at a time (personal and professional reasons). Waited for many things to come together to achieve a glimpse of what I had originally envisioned.

Anyway, now that I finally have a little time (all kids are almost out of the house), a little more money for my own interests( samplers and computers were never cheap) ... guess what? I am rapidly losing my physical and mental (evidenced by my posts) faculties.

Ah, the strangeness of life. On the other hand, the EWQL type products are a composers dream. I will be moving more and more towards composition as I age and am excited about the 64 bit possibilities for processing power and sample manipulation.

I will stop blathering on but in closing, I want everyone at EWQL and most in these forums to know that I have a deep respect and appreciation for what you do.

fongi
07-23-2007, 08:57 AM
Hey man ! donīt worry be happy :D

Dannthr
07-23-2007, 09:29 AM
Truer words were never spoken, Fongi--by the way, Bobby McFerrin IS the original Virtual Instrument.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgvJg7D6Qck

Don't sweat it, Dag6. I've had some hilarious posts removed, and you'll just have to take my word for it--I am hilarious ;)

Welcome to SOUNDS ON LINE!!!!!! forums.