PDA

View Full Version : new demo with RA/Stormdrum

awpmusic
06-24-2005, 02:58 PM
Turkish Wedding - a new demo with RA and Stormdrum - the bride is Turkish - the groom from North Africa - a wedding made in heaven - or not? COMMENTS WELCOME...!
Turkish Wedding (http://awpmusic.co.uk/music4/turkish_wedding_dance.mp3)

Lots more music to listen to on the website demo page (http://awpmusic.co.uk/demo.htm)

awpmusic
06-26-2005, 01:35 PM
no comments at all? anyone?

Mills2k
06-26-2005, 01:49 PM
Quite good overall :D ... mixing wise it seems like something that should be very echoey and distant; right now it seems very raw and close. It's a little repetitious as is, and could use some contrasting material to make it into more of a stand alone piece. Is this intended to accompany a picture? The accelerando at :08 is a little rough... The string parts that respond to the main theme seem to cut off rather abruptly. The main theme reminds me of a famous melody from a jazz or blues piece... I'm blanking on it right now, though.

Anyways, it's well done; a bit conventional, but well done.

awpmusic
06-26-2005, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the comments - to be honest I found this hard work to mix - maybe because my ears are not used to these sort of sounds - so your feedback is very welcome. I'll keep working on it. This was done in the first flush of excitement after receiving RA!
Thanks again.

ToddK
06-26-2005, 03:16 PM
Good rhythm bed. I agree, some sounds could be more distant, maybe
with some nice big mysterious reverb.

The flat 5 , 4 , minor 3rd, 1 , melody sounds bluesy.

Pentatonic can be used in this context, but the phrasing is key.
There are some other intervals you could have gone for that
might have given you the vibe you're looking for, without the risk
of sounding western. You could have used some intervals from the melodic and or harmonic minor scales.

But sometimes
its not the mode you choose, its the prhasing and sequencial direction
of the notes. And thats sort of the mystery of music in a way, but
i think if you listen to more World 'ish material, you'd get a better
instinct for the non western phrases.

Ya know, i've always wondered why nobody around here really talks
about actuall composition stuff, like evoking certain colors
with particular modes, or different ways to modulate from one
key to another, or polyrhythms etc etc....

We should have a section for that or something, ya think?

Anyway, overall, i think its a cool piece. I would like to hear you rework the melody
so its more mysterious, and quirky. The main idea and the rhythm bed is great,
and well worth building on even more.:)

Cheers!

TK

MakeANote
06-26-2005, 07:29 PM
Hey there Andrew,

First thoughts are that it sounds like you've used three different libraries (even though you quote only 2) and they aren't matched in the room. For example, your string motif from 0.20 is much drier than the other sounds. Then the wind motif at 0.55 comes in, again a different essence, and a little lagging against the rhythms. It sounds like it could come to a close near 2.00 (like it's run it's course)...to me it goes on for a bit.

The libraries themselves sound great and the balance (to me anyway) is pretty good.

Ian

lovelysilence
06-27-2005, 03:15 AM
I'm with ToddK again. Turkish music sounds dirtier and more mystical. Dirtier you can achieve with filtering and a wee bit of distortion. Mystical you can achieve with reverbs, phase shifts, and maybe extra pads or layers. If you're not very familiar with the genre, listen to Turkey's most awesome composer and performer, Omar Faruk Tekbilek, and you'll know what i mean. The intro of Gawazi will give you the finest example of percussion available, while the hairs on your skin stand vertical.

ToddK, the very reason why nobody talks about composition stuff, it's that probably not many people master that area. I for instance, know very little about it and have to look and search by trial and error to achieve the melody and harmony i'm after. It works everytime again, though i've no reference frame to start from.

awpmusic
06-27-2005, 03:59 AM
Thanks all - much appreciated useful advice. I suppose after a couple of days with the Library I had as much chance of producing authentic Turkish music as Omar has of producing Scottish music - it'll take time, patience and a fair bit of study. There are so many exciting sounds in RA from so many cultures. I'll get there in the end with any luck. I'll keep at it.