PDA

View Full Version : Hello from harpist, pianist, koto-ist

Mira
08-08-2007, 06:42 AM
Greetings, fellow musicians! I've enjoyed hearing some outstanding and very moving music from many of you in this forum.

I've only recently started doing midi after years as an acoustic musician--performing and composing on harp (including Paraguayan and Celtic), harpsichord, piano, Japanese Koto, Chinese Cheng, and a few other rare instruments. Spent 5 years in Japan learning Gagaku (Ancient Japanese court music) from the Imperial Palace musicians, specifically the 17-bamboo mouth pipe organ or sho.

Even though I was classically trained, my composing is often improvisational--it just comes in endless torrents and it's hard to know when to stop. But it can be just the opposite when orchestrating a song or fixed melody.

Expect some stupid questions; there is so much still to learn here. I've always wanted to compose in a bigger way--more like film-score music--and finally there is a way. The beautiful Easts-West instruments are so inspiring to work with and I hope to do much with them. Really love Gypsy and VOP! There is just one problem now: my computer's CPU is not up to the demands of these newer releases, and there are a lot of cracks and pops. It's a 2GHz iMac G5, pre-intel, single core (not duo) with 2GB ram. At least Gold XP does well.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to much positive and illuminating interaction here.

Aloha, Mira

mirrored
08-08-2007, 07:13 AM
Welcome here Mira. :) I hope you will get better at composition as I feel I'm going further with every completed tune. :)
Regards. Hope we can hear something from you soon. :)
PS. Are you able to record yourself playing those rare instruments?

fongi
08-08-2007, 02:14 PM
Hey Mira ! welcome have fun ! Chris

Mira
08-08-2007, 02:39 PM
Thanks for responding. Mirrored, I've done studio recordings in the past but need a better mike to do it at home. Hopefully, that will come. Mira

Gedren
08-13-2007, 02:16 AM
Hello and welcome, Mira! :)
Looking forward to listening to your new music at this forum! :)