PDA

View Full Version : greetings fellow composers & orchestrators!

tomhowardbright
08-12-2007, 06:25 PM
Hi everyone

I'm an 18 year old composer and orchestrator currently residing in London. I've recently completed my studies at the Royal College of Music, where I've been since the age of 14 and am about to head off to university.

Being completely new to EW I need lots of TLC! Before I used the good old pen and paper but now really need mock-ups to send off to clients. My latest purchase is a Quad Core 10GHZ PC with 4GB DDR2 RAM to run the EW stuff on with Sibelius 5.

It would be great to hear what you're all doing!

Tom.

Some of My Favourite Composers

Sir Edward Elgar
Sir John Barry
Ravel
Sibelius
Berlioz
JS Bach
Copland
Morricone
Jean (John) Williams
Wagner
Michael Kamen

Some of My LEAST Favourite Composers

Hans Zimmer
Brahms
Danny Elfman
Faure
Stravinsky
Chopin
Klaus Badelt
Stephen Schwartz (not so wicked!)

nickysnd
08-12-2007, 07:56 PM
It would be great to hear what you're all doing!
Welcome!

We are doing fine here.

Which means, among other things, that we are not doing lists of least favorite composers, here.

Other than that, we would love to be on the same list with Brahms, Chopin, and Stravinsky - being it a most favorite list, or a least favorite list.

Looking forward to hear more from you. For example - what has Jean to do with Williams? IMO, Jean stays a bit better near Sibelius. Even near Sébastien Bach...

Ricardo del Wagner rocks!

Edit -
Where should I look for your unofficial website? Any fan club yet?

Gedren
08-13-2007, 01:58 AM
Greeting from Russia, Tom! :)
And welcome to our forum!
Hope you will find much interesting and useful here.

tomhowardbright
08-13-2007, 07:49 AM
Welcome!

We are doing fine here.

Which means, among other things, that we are not doing lists of least favorite composers, here.

Other than that, we would love to be on the same list with Brahms, Chopin, and Stravinsky - being it a most favorite list, or a least favorite list.

Looking forward to hear more from you. For example - what has Jean to do with Williams? IMO, Jean stays a bit better near Sibelius. Even near Sébastien Bach...

Ricardo del Wagner rocks!

Edit -
Where should I look for your unofficial website? Any fan club yet?

I'm glad you liked my list of favourite and least favourite composers, it's simply my own opinion and I'm in no way suggesting those on it are inadequate or incompetent in anyway. Apart from Hans Zimmer.

I bet I'm not the first on here to state that John Williams is officially a total genius. Actually he's probably God. By calling him Jean, I was referring to his wonderfully mastered technique of copying orchestral ideas found in Sibelius' music. i.e. Symphony No. 2 in D= E.T Flying Theme. Only a genius could do that.

Who are your favourite or least favourite composers??

Tom.

PS. Please take a look at my website when it opens. The official thing et al., is very tongue-in-cheek.

nikolas
08-13-2007, 08:14 AM
Hi Tom and welcome. Hope to hear your music soon, and see your official site opening soon as well ;).

I'm glad you liked my list of favourite and least favourite composers, it's simply my own opinion and I'm in no way suggesting those on it are inadequate or incompetent in anyway. Apart from Hans Zimmer.
LOL!

Well I'm not Nicky, but let me answer as well.

NOBODY!

Since I don't write in order to avoid sounding as a composer, but usually in order to sound like one, I don't see the point of a "least favourite composers" list. I wouldn't consider working on a track, then realising it sounds like the x composer, and then trying to change it to avoid that. Would you?

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:

nickysnd
08-13-2007, 02:37 PM

I bet I'm not the first on here to state that John Williams is officially a total genius. Actually he's probably God. By calling him Jean, I was referring to his wonderfully mastered technique of copying orchestral ideas found in Sibelius' music. i.e. Symphony No. 2 in D= E.T Flying Theme. Only a genius could do that.

Tom.

PS. Please take a look at my website when it opens. The official thing et al., is very tongue-in-cheek.

Tom,

Let me put it more clearly: I have a strong impression that your attitude towards composers is not a very appropriate one to display in public. Posting "least favorite composers" lists is neither adequate nor competent, IMO. if you are a composer, as you claim to be in your "tongue in cheek" website, then you are the first one that I see making public lists of least favorite composers. Why don't you hang your black list on your website, huh? Also, you might be the first composer that I see to publicly state that another composer, Hans Zimmer in this case, is inadequate and incompetent. You have the right of your opinions, but when you publicly make such type of negative value judgments on composers, that will most likely turn back against yourself. You are not obliged to like everyone, but, you not liking a composer, that would hardly make that composer inadequate and incompetent.

BTW, if Zimmer didn't prove to be adequate and competent for his bunch of films, then Williams didn't prove that either, for his bunch of films. If one did, also did the other. About the ET theme - as long one doesn't plagiarize, one is free to use anything one feels that he/she musically needs to support a film sequence. Also, IMO, what would make Williams a genius has nothing to do with his use of material that happens to be present in some other scores.

Since you asked, my favorite composers are the ones whose music I listen to today. Tomorrow I will most likely have some other favorite composers. FWIW, a black list of composers, albeit of only one composer, is a repugnant idea to me. For your own sake - give it up, edit it out of your post. Or, if you are too proud to give it up, then show some guts - post it on your website.

jmd2479
08-13-2007, 09:29 PM
Tom,
You are not obliged to like everyone, but, you not liking a composer, that would hardly make that composer inadequate and incompetent.

FWIW, a black list of composers, albeit of only one composer, is a repugnant idea to me. For your own sake - give it up, edit it out of your post. Or, if you are too proud to give it up, then show some guts - post it on your website.

Very well put nickysnd, I found his "least favorite list of composers" in very poor taste and inappropriate for the purposes of this site.

Javee
08-13-2007, 11:05 PM
Agreed. But do not forget guys, and i mean no disrespect or to belittle you in any way Tom, but he is only 18 years old. With age comes wisdom. Hopefully :)

List of least favourite on a public forum full of fantastic composers.... not a good idea.... Live and learn i say! :)

No hard feelings bud.

Mitch

XGener8or
08-14-2007, 02:28 AM
My latest purchase is a Quad Core 10GHZ PC

:D did you just travel here from the future :p

nikolas
08-14-2007, 03:43 AM
I would assume that he means 4x2.5GHz. Otherwise I would value his post code so I can go and steal his new purchase... ;)

Javee
08-14-2007, 07:13 AM
Lol! 40ghz machine eh. That'd be bad ass! I need to upgrade my CPU. I have melted my 3500 :/

tomhowardbright
08-14-2007, 09:52 AM
Tom,

Let me put it more clearly: I have a strong impression that your attitude towards composers is not a very appropriate one to display in public. Posting "least favorite composers" lists is neither adequate nor competent, IMO. if you are a composer, as you claim to be in your "tongue in cheek" website, then you are the first one that I see making public lists of least favorite composers. Why don't you hang your black list on your website, huh? Also, you might be the first composer that I see to publicly state that another composer, Hans Zimmer in this case, is inadequate and incompetent. You have the right of your opinions, but when you publicly make such type of negative value judgments on composers, that will most likely turn back against yourself. You are not obliged to like everyone, but, you not liking a composer, that would hardly make that composer inadequate and incompetent.

BTW, if Zimmer didn't prove to be adequate and competent for his bunch of films, then Williams didn't prove that either, for his bunch of films. If one did, also did the other. About the ET theme - as long one doesn't plagiarize, one is free to use anything one feels that he/she musically needs to support a film sequence. Also, IMO, what would make Williams a genius has nothing to do with his use of material that happens to be present in some other scores.

Since you asked, my favorite composers are the ones whose music I listen to today. Tomorrow I will most likely have some other favorite composers. FWIW, a black list of composers, albeit of only one composer, is a repugnant idea to me. For your own sake - give it up, edit it out of your post. Or, if you are too proud to give it up, then show some guts - post it on your website.

:eek:Wow, what a rant! I'm glad to have sparked a bit of discussion on the forum.:D

RE: the "least" favourite composers list subject. This is not a black list or a hit list it is my opinion, which I believe I'm entitled to. I'm sorry you couldn't spot the sarcasm regarding Hans Zimmer and apologise if this caused any offence.

The point you make about liking different composers from one day to the next is a very good one.:cool: Being a musician, I'm always obsessed with a particular composer for a period of time, reading through their scores on the piano until I know them inside out and can anticipate every next note after the one before it.

Am I a composer as I state on my website? Well, I've been composing orchestral music since the age of 12 and have been at the Royal College of Music (UK's equivalent to your Juilliard) for the past few years studying composition/orchestration and conducting as well as the classical guitar as my principle instrument and piano and trumpet as my 2nd and 3rd studies. Last year I conducted a full orchestra performing a selection of scores I had composed which were intended for film.

Young composers need all the encouragement possible. They are, after all, the film composers of the future! Please, give me all the advice you can and hopefully it will make me a better composer.

Tom.

PS. nickysnd- if I posted a composers personality list, you'd probably appear next to Beethoven. :rolleyes:

nikolas
08-14-2007, 10:27 AM
Tom,

You know where the problem lies? That you go proclaiming about your least favourite composers! This is weird (the best word I could come up with). You are most welcome to have an opinion and comment on it, about your favourite ones, we all have them, we all love them, most of us mention them. But I've never, ever seen anyone, unchallenged, might I add, mention their least favourite composers!

You have done some things: BIG DEAL! Let me be here and tell you first! There are people who have done more!

Encouragement, yes, and if you search about me "nikolas" (will be easy to find me everywhere), you'll see how helpful I try to be. But not in order for people to come and post about their "least favourite composers" list.

Nikolas

PS. YAY for the judgement over 2 posts. I wonder what you have to say about JAvee, who's posted twice here, and me who have posted twice as well. I bet our personality is so easy to read over the net, no?

PS2. As you clearly see, both nikcy and me, are posting for your own good, trying to explain to you, that it might not be beneficial for you to have a "least favourite composers" list displayed next to your name. This IS, in fact, advice to the young composers and the composers of the next generation. Already 4 people (Nicky, me, Javee and jmd2479) have posted that they (we) find that list of poor taste. What else do you need as proof that it might do you more harm than good?

tomhowardbright
08-14-2007, 10:45 AM
Tom,

You know where the problem lies? That you go proclaiming about your least favourite composers! This is weird (the best word I could come up with). You are most welcome to have an opinion and comment on it, about your favourite ones, we all have them, we all love them, most of us mention them. But I've never, ever seen anyone, unchallenged, might I add, mention their least favourite composers!

You have done some things: BIG DEAL! Let me be here and tell you first! There are people who have done more!

Encouragement, yes, and if you search about me "nikolas" (will be easy to find me everywhere), you'll see how helpful I try to be. But not in order for people to come and post about their "least favourite composers" list.

Nikolas

PS. YAY for the judgement over 2 posts. I wonder what you have to say about JAvee, who's posted twice here, and me who have posted twice as well. I bet our personality is so easy to read over the net, no?

PS2. As you clearly see, both nikcy and me, are posting for your own good, trying to explain to you, that it might not be beneficial for you to have a "least favourite composers" list displayed next to your name. This IS, in fact, advice to the young composers and the composers of the next generation. Already 4 people (Nicky, me, Javee and jmd2479) have posted that they (we) find that list of poor taste. What else do you need as proof that it might do you more harm than good?

Ok, I accept my list of least favourite composers was in poor taste. I'm sorry if it's cause any offence. You've given me some really helpful advice and I thank you for it.

RE: my musical education. I was offended that someone had questioned whether I was a composer or not. I am entitled to a reply.

Thanks again for the advice.;)

Tom.

nickysnd
08-14-2007, 01:15 PM
I was offended that someone had questioned whether I was a composer or not. I am entitled to a reply.
Of course you are, and you did that right. I was entitled too to be questioning what kind of a composer you are if you have that negative attitude towards those big name composers. You are not entitled to post such a list, at least not on this board. If you don't like a piece, you can post your reasons for not liking it, but without making negative value judgments on its composer. Other than that, your achievements as a composer may easily be injured by such a goof as that list. I'd suggest you just edit it out, for your own good, and we can move forward to more positive things, whadayasay?

For example, how about posting some of your music?

jmd2479
08-14-2007, 03:46 PM
When you consider that the purpose of this forum is to (please correct me if I'm wrong) share ideas, advice, and experience, form relationships, network (all POSITIVE things!), posting a list of least favorite composers makes absolutely no sense (in such a context). The point here is, this forum is meant to be positive, to build up, to assist, etc. Arbitrarily posting a list of least favorite composers does just the opposite: it's negative and it cuts composers down. This forum is certainly not a place to arbitrarily label professionally established composers as incompetent. I found that particular statement offensive and extremely lacking of professionalism and maturity.

Wolfy
08-14-2007, 08:28 PM
Welcome, dear fellow. Sure is nice to have a chili on our taco, to spice up tings. Surprising remarks on your first official POST. I hope you enjoy and learn as we do in this forums (a bit of ethic wont hurt) , by the way here I present Some of My Favorite Composers

nickysnd
Nikolas
Gedren
XGener8or
Javee
jmd2479
JS Bach
Wagner
Zimmer
Chopin
Brahms
Etc...etc...etc

Some of My LEAST Favorite Composers

tomhowardbrigth (not so wicked!)

pasimpilot
08-15-2007, 03:07 AM
Hello TOM and Welcome to one of the best sites on the WEB!!!
I LOVE EWQL :D
Lots of great composers/musicians on this site and we welcome you!
I have Sibelius 5 also, its a fantastic program.
Lets hear some music!
Stephen

tomhowardbright
08-15-2007, 11:07 AM
Welcome, dear fellow. Sure is nice to have a chili on our taco, to spice up tings. Surprising remarks on your first official POST. I hope you enjoy and learn as we do in this forums (a bit of ethic wont hurt) , by the way here I present Some of My Favorite Composers

nickysnd
Nikolas
Gedren
XGener8or
Javee
jmd2479
JS Bach
Wagner
Zimmer
Chopin
Brahms
Etc...etc...etc

Ah, alas, a fellow composer with a sense of humour! WOW!!:eek: I've always wanted to chat with Mozart- I can't believe it's actually you! How's things Mozza??:D

I'm so ashamed to be on your list of least fav composers!:o By the way, good positioning of Zimmer next to Chopin. Chopin had to get someone else to do his orchestrations just like Zimmer. As they only do half the job, shouldn't we call them Chop & Zim.:rolleyes: But then again, there's no one on this earth that could ever write a Nocturne like Chopin! 3 cheers for Chopin- hip, hip, hooray!! hip, hip, hooray!! hip, hip, hooray!!

nikolas
08-15-2007, 11:42 AM
I'm so ashamed to be on your list of least fav composers!:o By the way, good positioning of Zimmer next to Chopin. Chopin had to get someone else to do his orchestrations just like Zimmer. As they only do half the job, shouldn't we call them Chop & Zim.:rolleyes: But then again, there's no one on this earth that could ever write a Nocturne like Chopin! 3 cheers for Chopin- hip, hip, hooray!! hip, hip, hooray!! hip, hip, hooray!!
Ok.

now it's MY time to get a bit irritated here.

Will you stop giving the impression that you know everything and are better? Not even as a (failed) joke! :mad:

Disclaimer: I don't think I have any zimmer records actually, and some Chopin (which I do enjoy, being a pianist). but he's not part of the immediate family so I don't get sentimental about neither of them.

lostrain
08-15-2007, 11:57 AM
Yikes....

I'm sure Hans is worried.

Keep in mind on how you lucky you are to have had been given such a powerful gift of music! The worst thing you can do is blast that in other's faces, no matter who you are!

I was accepted to Julliard, but so what?

tomhowardbright
08-15-2007, 12:46 PM
Chopin's ability to orchestrate has been questioned in many articles and books.

Yikes....

I'm sure Hans is worried.

Keep in mind on how you lucky you are to have had been given such a powerful gift of music! The worst thing you can do is blast that in other's faces, no matter who you are!

I was accepted to Julliard, but so what?

Everyone has the powerful gift of music, it's just some are able to access it more freely than others.

"I was accepted to Juilliard, but so what?" -Um... it's one of the world's greatest performing arts institutions... Did you accept their offer?

lostrain
08-15-2007, 01:53 PM
I went thru the painful process of getting accepetd, but to make a long story short, my mom got sick with cancer and I decided to stay home with her for the last few months of her life. After which, I kinda lost interest in piano for awhile and thought about what I wanted to do instead....

Ya, so now I'm a System Engineer, and music is just a hobby of mine.... Did I follow my dream? Well no---but the path to a dream is always dotted with roundabouts! Do I regret not going to Julliard? ---starving artist in NewYork... I guess I didn't have the passion for that lifestyle, not to say that's how it would have played out, but making it in music is more then just talent.

It's funny how things work out, so for all the 18 yearish old composers out there, don't get bummed out if it doesn't work out!

nickysnd
08-15-2007, 02:02 PM
Chopin's ability to orchestrate has been questioned in many articles and books.

Everyone has the powerful gift of music, it's just some are able to access it more freely than others.
No matter how big your gift appear to you, or how able you feel to freely access it, the point here is, as Eco would say, "ma gavte la nata." If you think you are better than Chopin, Stravinsky, Brahms, then post some of your music, then let the others decide how good you are, oh, you self-righteous one! Compose eight measures of piano music at Chopin's level, then talk about Chopin (and give praise to Chopin for his contribution to music). Compose a theme that a multimillion budget film producer will accept for his film, and then talk about Zimmer. Till then, feel free to admire those composers for their achievements. You are likely not more than an amoeba among names lilke Brahms, Fauré, Stravinsky, and the other names on your black list. Don't think you will fool anyone to think otherwise.

As for laughing alone at your own jokes, that is not very appreciated on this board.

nikolas
08-15-2007, 02:51 PM
Let me by blunter than Nicky.

1. Grow up
2. Learn
3. Mature
4. Learn when NOT to speak this way about other composers.

This is most disrespectful!

In short: Who do you think you are?

I've never seen a score from you, and yes I do enjoy seeing scores, as they provide many information an mp3 wont', I've never heard any music from you live recorded, or otherwise. You may be the biggest genious in music for the past 200 years. On the contrary to Nicky, who challenges you to write even 8 bars like Chopin would (which you won't make it, believe me and we talk about it all you want), I don't care if you can. Heck if you are the greatest talent around here, or you studied in RAM, or RCM, or wherever else. Because your attitude sucks! And while you went to admit that the "least favourite list of composers" was of poor taste, and I thought to myself "cool! He got it!, there you go next post to prove that you don't understand anything.

You see, to try and make you understad, everything you say stands true. Chopin indeed, was pretty bad at orchestration (as it appears anyways), and Zimmer indeed, is not the best composer of the 20th century (compaired to all composers active from 1900-2000 that is). But the trouble is your attitude and not the facts!

nickysnd
08-15-2007, 03:32 PM
everything you say stands true.
I don't think so. What stands true? That Chopin didn't care much for orchestration? - Would that make him a lesser composer? Chopin is great for the brilliant music he wrote, and for the advancement in music that his ideas have produced. IMO Chopin is one of the most overlooked composers in history. The music wealth in his Preludes alone should be enough to shut up the mouth of his detractors forever. Chopin is not pop music, as some may think. His way to musically express things is at the highest level. Actually, Chopin has written some of the most subtle and more refined music ever. I am no specialist in Chopin, not even a big fan, but only superficial minds can treat his compositions as "sentimental" music - the intellectual sophistication in most of the pieces that I have analyzed has totally blown me away. Letting apart his phenomenal capacity to come up with great melodies, there is hidden polyphony there and harmonic inventiveness there that few composers were and are capable of. There is perfection in Chopin's Preludes, in the same way that there is perfection in Bach's preludes and in Mozart's string quartets.

I agree that that attitude sucks, as do the facts - ranking composers is a stupid and ugly business. And non-profitable, in no friggin' way.

nikolas
08-15-2007, 03:39 PM
Nicky, When you quote 5 words out of a full post, you get them out of context. I just said that Choping (as it appears) was bad at orchestrating. You are talking about composing, and preludes and everything which have NOTHING to do with what I said. The man simply did not orchestrate enough works. Very little. His large opus is for solo piano.

Do you see me anywhere judging? Do you see me anywhere accusing or saying anything about the composition skills of Chopin? nothing at all! And I am probably a fan of Chopin, being a pianist!

Why don't you try and reread my post, and see how you and I agree, huh? Ranking composer is stupid and ugly business, and everything else. I'm with you here, but you don't seem to realise it!

EDIT:

OH! OH! OH!

Just in case. My previous post is aimned at Tom, not Nicky! I was talking to Tom not Nicky! sorry if it came out somehow else! Sorry

nickysnd
08-15-2007, 04:01 PM
Nicky, When you quote 5 words out of a full post, you get them out of context.
I know. But those words were: everything you say is true. I was reacting to that, everything is a pretty big word to me. But I guess you got it that I in no way am attacking your remarks, I just used that small quote and that orchestration issue to point to what kind of composer Chopin was (in my eyes anyway). So my point was: the attitude and the facts sucked both - as the lack of orchestration preoccupations doesn't say anything about one's qualities as a composer. Chopin is a great example in this respect.

Nikolas, please take my previous post as a twisted way to agree with you in general, while disagreeing with that particular quote.

nikolas
08-15-2007, 04:08 PM
I know what would happen if I sent a score to you- you'd say it's rubbish just for the sake of it.
you know nothing about me, and about what I do really, do you? How can you claim that I would just say it's rubbish for the shake of it?

No, I wouldn't call it rubbish for the shake of it. sorry mate to dissapoint you.

Nicky: Take out the evertyhing (it was meant to be limited to the chopin part really), and everything will be fine. Orchestration skills do not make a composer. We can all agree to that ;)

nickysnd
08-15-2007, 04:18 PM
I know what would happen if I sent a score to you- you'd say it's rubbish just for the sake of it.
No, don't assume that, here you are as wrong as can be. Post a piece and have all confidence that you will receive only honest opinions in a gentle manner. Here is the pieces that are evaluated, not the composers.

You see I'm not so sure of myself after all! Give me a break, I'm only a typical cocksure 18-year-old!
There you go! When you realize that, you're at least 20 years wiser. :)

Let us forget all these and let's talk business. For example, what is your experience with midi mock-ups?

tomhowardbright
08-15-2007, 04:19 PM
I'm sorry and I apologise for that comment. But can you see how insecure composers et al., of my age are and that they need people like you for guidance.

You're obviously only speaking with my interests at heart- and I realise that now. I'm glad you don't hate me. I'll gather together a score to send to you- if you'll be kind enough to look through it and tell me what you think?

Can we all just forgive and forget? After all we've all got one thing in common at least- we're passionate about music.

nickysnd
08-15-2007, 04:21 PM
Orchestration skills do not make a composer. We can all agree to that ;)
What do you mean with that wink, huh? :mad: I'm getting paranoid, yasee... :rolleyes:

nikolas
08-15-2007, 04:40 PM
What do you mean with that wink, huh? :mad: I'm getting paranoid, yasee... :rolleyes:
hahaha!

you will have to leave with that! Think about it deep and decide what that wink means. ;)

buahahahaha!

Tom: Why not post your music in the music forum, like all of us do? Create your mockup, because this forum is primarily for EW users, and DAW users and computer mock-ups, and alos include the score for people who would like to view it...

tomhowardbright
08-15-2007, 04:45 PM
hahaha!

Tom: Why not post your music in the music forum, like all of us do? Create your mockup, because this forum is primarily for EW users, and DAW users and computer mock-ups, and alos include the score for people who would like to view it...

Thanks, I'll do that. ;)

Javee
08-15-2007, 07:48 PM
tomhowardbright (or should i say Anikan Skywalker/Darth Vader)

Search your feelings, answers you shall find. Anger is a path to the dark side :P

I look forward to your post! I will not lie, music is an extension or way to funnel our emotions other than physical/oral/visual modes. I have learned to come to appreciate music through the eyes of its composer. In short, if your bite is half as big as your bark, I think we will all be in love with your music :) So do not "fear" to post your music here. I will add though, do not expect a grand deal of criticism on just the music, as I was expecting when I first posted. As it turns out, the people around here are extremely helpful when it comes to MIDI sequencing. Enough so that I very much look forward to posting a new piece soon!

Best Wishes,
Mitch

Post Script - This is not an attack, rather an attempt to ease the tension :) Do find what humour you can in this post :)=)

White Noise
08-20-2007, 06:00 AM
Tom,

All of the above - here here!

White Noise
08-20-2007, 06:09 AM

nickysnd
Nikolas
Gedren
XGener8or
Javee
jmd2479
JS Bach
Wagner
Zimmer
Chopin
Brahms
Etc...etc...etc

Nice to have a composer in the Austro-Germanic tradition join the forum Wolfy!! ;-) I wondered if you'd chime in at some point.

tomhowardbright
08-21-2007, 04:05 PM
As I can't edit and delete my first post on this thread, I just want to finish by saying the following.

I have the utmost respect for anyone who has written music, as they obviously share our passion for this wonderful art form. Stephen Schwartz is a brilliant composer who has created so many wonderful musical theatre scores, and to this day, is one of the most successful American theatre composers. I didn't intend to be condescending and I apologise if my comments appeared that way.

Likewise, Hans Zimmer, has my total respect as a composer and orchestrator. I have enjoyed many of his wonderful scores for film. I feel he has been a great innovator of film music.

I would like to again apologise for my first thread, which may have seemed to mock composers for simply trying to do their job.

Thanks for listening
Tom

Wolfy
08-21-2007, 04:42 PM
Dear Tom,

We are all in the process of learning one way or another, like the Americans will say, " no biggie" or the Californians will say, "no worries Dude" we will die learning.

But it definitely shows some Professionalism and Ethics that you are wanting to clear whatever that that is out and to maintain an exchange of ideas that will only help our community grow.

I am positive that we can learn from you something, so keep the quality comments and views coming

Have a wonderful night, and I hope to exchange ideas with you in a near future.

All my best,

Wolfy.

hamlets_shrink
08-23-2007, 01:20 AM
I'm sorry and I apologise for that comment. But can you see how insecure composers et al., of my age are and that they need people like you for guidance.

You're obviously only speaking with my interests at heart- and I realise that now. I'm glad you don't hate me. I'll gather together a score to send to you- if you'll be kind enough to look through it and tell me what you think?

Can we all just forgive and forget? After all we've all got one thing in common at least- we're passionate about music.

Oh Thomas Howard of Bright prospects, for my money you have a name oozing , 'Composer of Some Standing' No sarcasm here, just seems you're half way there on the image/presentation front. It seems a shame you've felt yourself backed into a corner and compelled to recant on your initial rather innocuous misdemeanor. You were fighting with all the self belief, panache and fortitude you'll need to get anywhere in this game in the long run, and running rings around the opposition: what a time to yield !!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall anything in the Forum Rules that outlaws 'least favourite composer lists' I would say that such a list is helpful to others to enable them to gauge your tastes and propensities, however subjective they may be. Zimmer is actually a favourite of mine but somehow I don't feel affronted by your list and feel that in the natural course of time the posts of an 18 year old guy will evolve into something else. You're here to fraternise, not to be patronised. I just hope your works are as plucky as your posts.

tomhowardbright
08-23-2007, 04:18 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall anything in the Forum Rules that outlaws 'least favourite composer lists' I would say that such a list is helpful to others to enable them to gauge your tastes and propensities, however subjective they may be. Zimmer is actually a favourite of mine but somehow I don't feel affronted by your list and feel that in the natural course of time the posts of an 18 year old guy will evolve into something else. You're here to fraternise, not to be patronised. I just hope your works are as plucky as your posts.

Thanks. I agree with you. I had hoped to spark a bit of debate and discussion, but it seems the ubiquitous unnamed few took it the wrong way. Anyway I've apologised now and hope to move on.

I'll be posting music when I've got my new quad core processor! :cool: I can't post any current stuff as it's only on manuscript.

Most Sincerely
Tom.

Null
08-23-2007, 11:14 AM
^^His Quad Core, 10GHz processor, no less!

And as for this argument... It might stem from my general immaturity and inability to take the situation at hand seriously, but I find this whole roasting to be a little.... *employs tact* ...counterproductive.

Tom:

Yes, sure. You're entitled to your opinion, but, at the serious risk of beating a dead horse here, you might want to take a lesson in the weight written words carry. Judging by your apology note a few pages back, (when this argument ended the FIRST time... :rolleyes:) it looks like you're well on your way to learning it.

Nic's, Nickies, etc.

"*cough*... *cough*... NEEEEEEIIIIIIGHHHHHHHHHHH...... *cough*"

Alright guys, I'd say it's safe to drop the whips now.

Anyways, any further debate/hard feelings will be settled via rap battle. Four bars from each emcee, first to five votes is a ghetto champion.

...aaaaaaaaand go.

nickysnd
08-23-2007, 01:36 PM
[SIZE=2]Nic's, Nickies, etc.
Null, nulls, etc. -

You are all kind of late. From my pov everything was happily settled some thirteen posts ago, see #30.

Have a nice day. :)

Null
08-23-2007, 05:37 PM
That doesn't sound like a rap battle verse to me, Nicky. Rules are rules...:D

JCL
08-24-2007, 10:36 AM
Tom, I sent you a Private Message.