PDA

View Full Version : 5400rpm laptop harddisk vs 7200rpm external.

MaestroRage
09-03-2007, 08:49 AM
I've always been told by musicians that streaming samples from external sources is a bad idea. It'll lag, it'll buzz, it'll perform poorly etc etc.

However this was all in the assumption that the harddisk was SATA 7200rpm models, where clearly, transfer of data via bus would vastly outperform USB, and even Firewire.

I've recently bought a laptop *typing through that actually!*, which has a 5400rpm harddisk. Thats only 66% the speed of a 7200rpm. It's got 2 gigs of ram, and 160 gigs of harddisk, so there is some space for a good deal of sample libraries on here.

Now this slower rpm really worries me. I paid relatively good money for this laptop, and if it's not going to fill the bill then i'm returning it for a cheaper, more conventional one.

Would it still be faster to use this harddisk over an external harddrive with a faster rpm? Would they both suck at this point?

Thanks for your time!

LEX
09-03-2007, 11:44 AM
I've always been told by musicians that streaming samples from external sources is a bad idea. It'll lag, it'll buzz, it'll perform poorly etc etc.

However this was all in the assumption that the harddisk was SATA 7200rpm models, where clearly, transfer of data via bus would vastly outperform USB, and even Firewire.

I've recently bought a laptop *typing through that actually!*, which has a 5400rpm harddisk. Thats only 66% the speed of a 7200rpm. It's got 2 gigs of ram, and 160 gigs of harddisk, so there is some space for a good deal of sample libraries on here.

Now this slower rpm really worries me. I paid relatively good money for this laptop, and if it's not going to fill the bill then i'm returning it for a cheaper, more conventional one.

Would it still be faster to use this harddisk over an external harddrive with a faster rpm? Would they both suck at this point?

Thanks for your time!

No.

External is fine as long as it is 7200 RPM. Even USB 2 would be fine to a point, but Firewire is better. (note USB2 should not be used. I was using it as an example to the internal 5400)

Anything less than 7200, internal or external, is a no no.

Internal SATA is going to be faster than an external Firewire, but doesn't mean that the external FW can't be used.

It just depends on how much you are trying to run from it.

LEX

MaestroRage
09-03-2007, 12:09 PM
I am going to be trying to run Gold and Choirs, and maybe RA from time to time. Three relatively large libraries. This is my ultimate goal. I could always get an external for sound effects of the sorts.

Your verdict is return it then Lex?

LEX
09-03-2007, 01:33 PM
I am going to be trying to run Gold and Choirs, and maybe RA from time to time. Three relatively large libraries. This is my ultimate goal. I could always get an external for sound effects of the sorts.

Your verdict is return it then Lex?

You are not going to be able to run either, both or all 2 from the internal lap drive.

That will crap out long before any 7200 RPM external will.

Your only choice is external. If you can get a SATAe drive and interface for the laptop, that would be the way to go.

Then Firewire 800, then 400, but make sure the interface is TI (texas instruments, not VIA)

Sound FX are going to probably run better on your internal, then the other way around.

LEX

MaestroRage
09-03-2007, 01:46 PM
Thank you for all your advice, then I will return this laptop, and continue working on my desktop, until I am able to do this right.