Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)
Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 05:42 PM
Gold Member

cjed is on a distinguished road

Roland FP-7F, allows to play very smooth velocities (however no highest ones with default sensitivity settings).
Keys look and feel like on a real piano, and rebounce provides very fast playing. The progressive damper pedal also adds to the realism.
Playing EasWest Pianos (and oter libraries) is then far more convincing than when using my previous Roland A30.
It isn't cheap however, and does not feature mod wheel.

I tried Yamaha CP-5, Kawai MP10 (about same action quality as the FP-7F and better sounding - and also heavier !), Roland RD-NX700 (a little heavier touch and not as good looking keys top), RD-300NX (not that bad for the price), SV1 (synth like keys however nice for non piano sounds), Studiologic/Fatar Numa Nano (convenient - very lite - and ok touch, however some unpleasant low noise from the hammers), AKAI MPK88 (good touch however still far from Roland's PHA III). The best action was the V-Piano :-)

Last edited by cjed; 06-10-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:59 PM
Platinum Member

dcoscina is on a distinguished road

I switched to a Kurzweil Pc3x and love it. Kicks the crap outta the StudioLogic VMK I had. But then again, it's a million times more expensive
Old 06-11-2011, 04:48 AM
Silver Member

fabianzauberer is on a distinguished road

My good old KX 8
Old 06-12-2011, 08:35 PM
Silver Member

raywong is on a distinguished road

Got the new M-Audio Oxygen 88, the velocity sensitivity is terrible! You can't play fast fff repetition. If I play ta-DA, I get ta-da, no matter how hard I hit the second note. It makes it very difficult to play fast drum part or fast spiccato parts. I don't know, maybe this is how a real piano is like, but I never had this problem with any other midi controller before.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:12 AM
Silver Member

JBlongz is on a distinguished road

Return it..get the MPK88. I only have bad experiences from M-Audio controllers.

Last edited by JBlongz; 06-13-2011 at 03:14 AM.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:29 AM

jdmcox is on a distinguished road

I like my StudioLogic 990XP, but I have to admit that even though it has a fairly real piano feel, the keys feel heavy and clunky compared to a couple of uprights I've played. Maybe the StudioLogic Numa Nero would feel better (it costs a lot more). I've only read one good comment comparing the two, and he said the Numa Nero is great but if you have a 990, stick with it (probably because of the cost difference).
Old 07-01-2011, 12:27 PM
Silver Member

andrewbrick is on a distinguished road

I got an m-audio oxygen88 several months ago as my first move into a controller with sliders and knobs. It does have sort of a cheap feel to it, and I definitely agree that striking the keys produces way too much noise. The sliders don't feel very sturdy; I don't use them much, but I can imagine if I did, they wouldn't take too much of a beating. But so far, no problems. One thing I really hate, though, (and I don't know how other boards may be better) is the programming of the thing (like to assign CCs to specific sliders or knobs) and the fact I have to press more than one button to change MIDI channels.

I do like the key weight, though, and it wasn't terribly expensive, so there's that.

win7 pro 64bit i7 920 / 24GB
m-audio oxygen88
sonar x1pdr

Last edited by andrewbrick; 07-01-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:56 PM
Silver Member

devastat is on a distinguished road

M-Audio Keystation Pro 88, which has been discontinued for a long time. I could not be more happy for it, it was very cheap and it's fully weighed keyboard with great feel.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:47 PM

CPLUSE is an unknown quantity at this point

If you can check out the Kawai mp10
Old 07-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Silver Member

raywong is on a distinguished road

I can't stand the Oxygen88, I can't return it either as there's no return policy over here in Hong Kong. There is no problem playing soft slow piece, but it is impossible to play fast dynamic stuff. A few time almost got a hammer to smash it because it won't record the fff note..... It is definitely a design fault, the keys bounce so much compare to other keyboards. It can keep bouncing for half a second when hit hard, and the velocity is all messed up if I hit it again while it still bouncing, I compare it to a 20 year old olds-mobile suspensions. I now have to draw my velocity of the drum parts every time, and it is impossible to play any velocity switching patches such as CineBrass.