Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)
Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 08:57 AM

Hunter is on a distinguished road

I have purchased the Johnathan Loving soundest for EWQLSO gold Ive installed it onto Sibelius 7. I didn't get 7 instances of play to appear in playback devices, not sure if this matters or not?

But it does work and it recognises EWQLSO articulations on the fly I have come across a problem trying to get a 2nd instrument to recognise articulations, tho I'm sure i will work this out soon.

Thanks
Old 02-20-2012, 09:52 AM
Gold Member

tayloran9 is on a distinguished road

If you have two lines of an instrument, say two flute staves, you'll need to have two flute master key switches loaded in a different instance of PLAY from each other - not just different channels in the same PLAY instance. This is important as otherwise if you have the two staves assigned to the same flute patch, you'll run into issues when you want both flutes to play different articulations at the same time. I used to get issues even if there were two separate master ks patches loaded in the same PLAY instance but assigned to different channels, stuck articulations would occur, that's why I recommend you assign them to a different PLAY instance each, then you won't run into any issues. This goes for all multiple lines, so for example, I tend to have two lines of most instruments for those times when divisi parts require a separate staff, and usually three or four lines of horns in case there are times when the horns play different articulations and dynamics to each other. And so for each new line, I'd recommend you have a new master ks in a different PLAY instance from the other. If you decide to have four lines of horns, then you'll want four instances of PLAY each with a horn master ks ...you get the idea. Don't worry about eating up RAM, once one master patch is loaded, you can load it again as many times as you like and the RAM use won't go up, apart from the little bit of RAM each new PLAY instance uses.

Not sure why you can't see 7 instances of PLAY in devices, are you sure you chose the Play EWQLSO 7 instances playback configuration from the drop down box in the devices page? Anyway, you can have as many PLAY instances as you need, the 7 instance playback config is just a useful template to work from but you can also load them manually.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:25 PM

Thanks for the tip on using different instances of play per instrument!

Well i don't have a 'EWQLSO 7' configuration to choose from under available if thats what you mean? I choose 'Play' as a playback device, then in manual sound sets i choose 'EWQLSO PLAY v3' as a sound set. This seams to work, are you doing it a different way?

Thanks
Old 02-20-2012, 12:41 PM
Gold Member

There should be a playback config called 'Play - EWQLSO v3' from the drop down list of available configurations in the playback devices page. If you switch to that, it will automatically open 7 instances of PLAY. If you don't see it there then this suggests you didn't copy the Play - EWQLSO v3.xml file to the Sibelius 7 Playback Configurations folder during installation?
Old 02-20-2012, 01:15 PM

I have double checked and I have definatly copied the files in the right area and into the correct folders (that the instillation video said to create). The playback configuration folder I had to create, contains both EWQLSO v3.xml and EWQLSO v3(au).xml files. Tho that is all that it contains, on the installation video there are more files in this folder such as general midi and sibelius sounds... I don't have these other files (which i think are the playback configurations from the configurations drop down box) I created the folders and dropped the files in as instructed so I'm not sure what i did wrong... is it possible that I already have a playback configurations folder located somewhere else on my computer?

Thanks
Old 02-20-2012, 01:29 PM
Gold Member

That's the issue, the video is quite old and refers to Sib 5 and 6. With Sibelius 7 the config folder is in a different location. Check the documentation that came with the soundset but I think the correct location is here: C:/Users/AppData/Roaming/Avid... and then a folder within there.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:06 PM

I believe that is for windows. I'm on mac and have created my folders and dropped files here Library/Application Support/Avid/Sibelius 7 as instructed in the user manual. I believe Sounds and house files are in the correct place as I can choose the 'EWQLSO [play] v3' house style and EWQL instruments when i create a new score. However the EWQLSO v3 configuration does not appear in configurations, it appears in 'sound sets' on the 'manual sound sets' page. Although it does seem to be working still.

I have loaded separate instances of play for separate instruments as you suggested. My instruments correspond with the correct sounds however, my 2nd and 3rd instruments will not recognise articulations. the 1st instrument articulates fine. any advice on this?

Cheers
Old 02-20-2012, 02:36 PM

to change my question its not a case of 1st working and the rest not. Its just I can get a violin to do pizzicato with a 'pizz' command but the same command will not make a cello do pizzicato. any ideas why?

thanks
Old 02-20-2012, 02:46 PM
Gold Member

Hmmm, does sound strange. I'm on Windows and so things may work differently on a Mac. I'd fire off a quick email to Jonathan via his website, his support is always reliable. I'm sure you'll soon be up and running without a hitch.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:47 PM

Will do, thanks for you help
Closed Thread