Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)
Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 08:14 AM

Deathknellq is on a distinguished road
Question Sound seems less on recording?

Hi

I've noticed a niggle when recording straight from the "Play" .. when playing using the sounds .. they sound really big and impressive (Guitar+ Choir +Strings+Pipe organ = Win)

but when it comes to playing back a recorded version of "play" the sound seems to not match the quality of sound on the playing .. less big and loud..

Now i've tried several methods of recording from DAW's Sonar X1 (64bit) at 48000hz at 4069 Asio Buffering (Im using a M-Audio Delta Ap 192 sound card) and higher sound rates up to 19200hz!

Also used Reaper (64bit) and even recorded from the Standalone with Nero Soundtrax 3 ... but the recording never match's the quality of the playback on "play" (Monitors are M-Audio AV 40's)

any suggestions??

My rig more then matches the recommended for the latest play, but I could attach if you need it.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:41 PM
Platinumē Member

jspencer is on a distinguished road

Do you mean that when you play back your sequence, it doesn't sound as good as when you were recording the sequence? Or is it after exporting the file as audio?
Old 03-23-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspencer View Post
Do you mean that when you play back your sequence, it doesn't sound as good as when you were recording the sequence? Or is it after exporting the file as audio?
Second one I think ... when playing with the VST alone it sounds great and clear .. but after recording and then listening to the playback of the recording alone .. it's not as good or clear.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:40 PM
Platinum Member

chest is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathknellq View Post
i've tried several methods of recording from DAW's
What do you mean by that? Do you mean you're (a) recording on external hardware, (b) routing (within the computer) the DAW's audio output into another program to record, or (c) using the DAW's ability to create an audio file directly from the sequencer file?
Old 03-24-2012, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chest View Post
What do you mean by that? Do you mean you're (a) recording on external hardware, (b) routing (within the computer) the DAW's audio output into another program to record, or (c) using the DAW's ability to create an audio file directly from the sequencer file?
I have done "C" ... Used the daws recording of the play vst ... And "B" used the standalone version and recorded that with Nero on an open seperate window..

The hardware method is from the keyboard Casio CTK 5000 the USB midi cable from the keyboard to the computer .. On the soundcard I have 6 connecting cables 3 red 3 white all 1/4 jacks.

My monitor outputs go to my M-Audios. My input and output connectors are linked .. Matching the colours with short 1/4 cables (so the soundcard records the vst's)

D.

Last edited by Deathknellq; 03-24-2012 at 04:41 AM. Reason: You mum told me to.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:43 AM

Just had a thought ... If "Play" had its own recording method ... The sound on record should be identical to the sound you hear on playing?
Old 03-24-2012, 08:27 AM
Silver Member

wpzad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathknellq View Post

they sound really big and impressive (Guitar+ Choir +Strings+Pipe organ = Win)

sound on the playing .. less big and loud..
I'll take a shot in the dark. "Sounds really big" while playing translates to me as the spacious stereo audio sounds / source that we all love.

"Less big" after recording lovely audio translates to me as possibly being

A) a stereo audio source that's been recorded in mono
B) recorded in stereo but played back in mono
C) 2 mono files panned towards center on playback.

Hopefully this helps,
Wayne
Old 03-24-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpzad View Post
I'll take a shot in the dark. "Sounds really big" while playing translates to me as the spacious stereo audio sounds / source that we all love.

"Less big" after recording lovely audio translates to me as possibly being

A) a stereo audio source that's been recorded in mono
B) recorded in stereo but played back in mono
C) 2 mono files panned towards center on playback.

Hopefully this helps,
Wayne
Hi ... I record the sounds from play in stereo and then when I play back the stereo wav recorded direct from the vst it seems to lack the impact from the original playing ... Like the high's are not as clean and clear and it lacks the warmness and base from the original.
Closed Thread