Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)
Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 05:30 PM

PianoGuy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pianos after release sustain

In real life pianos I enjoy doing this thing where you hit a chord quickly without holding the sustain pedal downl and then immediately press the sustain pedal so it only catches the softer end of the sustain sound (it creates like an atmospheric soft sustain sound). I cannot do this on QL pianos. Can this be achieved with a script update? Maybe allow the sustain pressed after a chord to hold low volume notes, or would new samples be required? Thanks
Old 03-23-2012, 07:26 PM
Platinum Member

Dominik Raab is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Dominik Raab Send a message via Skype™ to Dominik Raab

I don't know whether this approach is also called half pedalling like when pressing the sustain pedal, playing a note and then releasing the pedal.
QL Pianos doesn't support this and as far as I know it's not planned. Would love to have it, though.

My music on SoundCloud

Digital Photography

Hollywood Orchestral Woodwinds Diamond | Hollywood Brass Diamond | Hollywood Strings Diamond | Symphonic Orchestra Gold; Close Mics; Hall Mics | Symphonic Choirs | Stormdrum 2 | Gypsy | Ra | Ministry of Rock 1 & 2 | Pianos | The Dark Side | Voices of Passion | Solo Violin | Spaces
Old 03-26-2012, 06:47 AM
Silver Member

SJK is on a distinguished road

That's not actually half pedalling. On a real piano, the sustain pedal has not only on off states, but many states inbetween with varying amounts of sustain. There are some libs that support this (like the BDMO).

You could always just copy the midi track, take the chord you wish to catch, lower the velocities and render out the tail of the low volume version. Mix back with the original chord and you could get close.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:52 AM
Platinum˛ Member

gstitt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Can this be achieved with a script update? Maybe allow the sustain pressed after a chord to hold low volume notes, or would new samples be required? Thanks
It might be possible. The problem is that there are different samples for pedal-down and pedal-up. My understanding is that unless the pedal is down when you play a note, you get pedal-up samples. If you press the pedal after playing a pedal-up sample, it simply sustains the pedal-up sample. So, you could potentially create a script that crossfades from the pedal-up to pedal-down samples.

By the way, I'm not sure if Pianos does this. I know previous libraries worked this way, but I haven't really tested it with Pianos.
Closed Thread