Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)
Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 02:02 PM

SerialListener is on a distinguished road
Question DXF Symphonic Orchestra

A couple questions about DXF articulations in EWQL Symphonic Orchestra. I have not been able to find the answer to these questions in the manual. I am wondering when using the DXF articulations, does the actual velocity of the midi note matter? I get confused because it sounds like the CC 1 messages for modulation may over ride the velocity of the input note in the piano roll. For example, If the the CC 1 message is 30, a quiet sound is heard, and if it is 127 it is really loud no matter what the velocity of the actual midi note is. Since this is also an ACC articulation, it seems that the samples triggered are also supposed to reflect the timbre quality associated with playing at that specific volume. So, then does it matter what the velocity of note input in the piano roll is, or is it truly being over ridden by the CC 1 messages? Hypothetically, could I input all my notes at one velocity in the piano roll, and then control the timbre and velocity with CC 1 messages to get the same effect as playing each a different velocities?

My second question is whether or not you are able to load the key switches and a DXF articulation at the same time. I am wondering if I am able to switch between articulations on a single instrument during a song, and the CC 1 messages will still control the timbre/velocity for each articulation I switch between? I can see both patches loaded in the browser screen, but am only able to see one at a time in the Instrument screen. Are you able to use both at the same time then, or only one or the other?

Thanks,

Chris
Old 04-14-2012, 05:39 PM
Platinum Member

pkm is on a distinguished road

Yes.
No.

You'll need a separate midi track for the KS patch and the DXF patch unless you use program changes or some other routing that some DAWs have that I'm not familiar with.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:45 PM

Thanks for the response. I realize that these are pretty basic questions that people have probably asked before, but I haven't been able to find the answers. I appreciate the help getting going here.

I feel confused on the second part of your answer still. How do I get the DXF patch track with the CC 1 messages to manipulate the sound on the KS patch track if they are on separate tracks? Or are you talking about busing them to a third track and blending the sum of the two sounds? Again, sorry for such basic questions, but I truly appreciate the help.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:52 PM
Platinum Member

Oh, I misunderstood the question. There are no DXF patches in the KS patches, so you can't control any dynamics in a KS patch with cc1
Old 04-14-2012, 07:04 PM

I think I understand now. It was this paragraph from the manual that really had me confused for a while:

"Also keyswitches tend to have most of the samples of the instrument or ensemble in them. So it is very likely that the samples for a DXF patch and for pretty much any basic sustain program will already be contained within the keyswitch. Loading the DXF into the same instance as the keyswitch means that you won’t waste RAM. "

Are there some keyswitch patches that have a DXF patch contained in them? That is the only way that I can make sense of what the manual was getting at here then. I am working with the solo instruments right now, and they don't have any DXF articulations in their keyswitches. Thanks for the help though. Now I know what I have to do to make things work for this song.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:08 PM
Platinum Member

DXF patches use the same samples as some non-DXF patches, but the DXF patches are programmed differently. Same recordings, but different software behind them basically. When you loa up a KS patch, you are loading up the same samples from the DXF patch, but not the programming that states that cc1 controls dynamics. If you then load up a DXF patch, it doesn't use any more RAM because the samples have already been loaded up by the KS patch. Have I made any sense?
Old 04-14-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkm View Post
If you then load up a DXF patch, it doesn't use any more RAM because the samples have already been loaded up by the KS patch. Have I made any sense?
So are you saying that if I have KS loaded on a track for an instrument, and then on another track, load up the same instrument's DXF patch, that I am not doubling the RAM load on my computer because the samples are already loaded? Like you said its just the software processing of the samples that is different. In this instance though I have two independent tracks. This quote from the manual then does not pertain to loading KS and DXF patches on the same track, rather loading the same instrument on separate tracks, with separate patches. I am understanding this correct?
Old 04-14-2012, 09:08 PM
Platinum Member

As long as they are in the same instance of PLAY you aren't using any more RAM when you load another patch that uses the same samples, regardless of which output or midi channel you route it to.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:59 AM
Gold Member

KenK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerialListener View Post
My second question is whether or not you are able to load the key switches and a DXF articulation at the same time.
Hi Chris-

I use "Channel Switching" to accomplish this.

I load a KS patch on Ch 1.
Then in the same instance,
DXF patches on Ch 2, 3 etc.

Then you change the channel of your sequencer data when you want to use a particular DXF patch.
You also have to change the cc#s to this channel.

In other words-
this way when you change the channel of a note to say Ch 2,
you're now using whatever patch(es) you've loaded on Ch 2.
You must also input your cc#1 and cc#11 to Ch 2 or it will have no effect.
Same w/ Ch 3 etc.

Depending on your sequencer, it cam be pretty easy to do this.

Ken
Old 07-06-2012, 04:34 PM

jdmcox is on a distinguished road

I normally only want one DXF patch, because basically what it does is change both an instrument's volume and timbre with Modulation input. So I load a DXF patch for an instrument into the same Port and Channel that the instrument is using. My Sequencer, PianoRollComposer, can then send Modulation CC's to change the instrument's volume/timbre (which is better than Expression CC's which only changes the instrument's volume). Gotta love that DXF!
Closed Thread