Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)
Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 04:59 PM
Silver Member

musicmad is on a distinguished road
Default QL pianos, Gold or Full ?

Hi

I'm looking to purchase QL Pianos but not sure if to go for GOLD or FULL edition, is there much difference between the two? This would be mainly for solo piano works.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:24 PM

Krusky is on a distinguished road

I have Full. Best sounding virtual pianos I've found.

From what I understand (which you may already know), same 4 pianos with the differences being:

Gold has 16 bit samples with 1 mic position (player)
Full has 24 bit samples with 3 mic positions (close, player, room)

I like the idea of having the addition mic positions, but to be honest with you, I don't use them much. Usually just pull up one of the default patches (with the player position) and play/record. Sounds great!

Also, you can always upgrade from the Gold to the Full.

Last edited by Krusky; 04-14-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:42 PM
Silver Member

jeffie7 is on a distinguished road

I never use just one mic. Full all the way!
Old 04-15-2012, 08:16 AM
Silver Member

I see the FULL version is €375. iLok Key €39,95 plus VAT €78,84. Sub total €493,79.

GOLD version €265. iLok Key €39,95 plus VAT €57,94. Sub total €362,89.

I don't suppose €131 is a major difference between the two, still €493,79 is a big pay out for a plug in. I want the full version, is this the best deal I'll get ? or would i get a better price elsewhere ?

Will be a European purchase.

Last edited by musicmad; 04-15-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:00 AM
Silver Member

jeffie7 is on a distinguished road

I'd wait a bit. Eastwest likes to run specials. I got mine when it was buy one get one free.
Not too long ago I think they had most of their products on 40% off, who knows what the next deal will be.

Maybe you can e-mail them and ask or maybe wheel and deal with them? Worst they will do is say, no idea when the next special is and NO DISCOUNT FOR YOU!

can't hurt to try.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:40 AM
Gold Member

RobertPeeters is on a distinguished road

I would go for QL Pianos, if that are the 2 only options. But there are many other libraries out there which are not bad either!
I am making a series of piano VST reviews on my site Should be completed by the end of April
Old 04-16-2012, 10:58 AM
Silver Member

fallforward is on a distinguished road

I prefer the Full for the mic positions. I use the close mic on everything. And the room mic is really nice to move the piano back in the mix if that is what is desired. I think the room mic is also pretty essential for doing solo piano works.

As far as price, everyone's budgets are different and I respect yours. I had to save up for awhile to get the library. But I didn't have to save as long as it would take to afford a Steinway D or Yamaha C7!
Old 04-17-2012, 05:36 AM
Silver Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffie7 View Post
I'd wait a bit. Eastwest likes to run specials. I got mine when it was buy one get one free.
Not too long ago I think they had most of their products on 40% off, who knows what the next deal will be.

Maybe you can e-mail them and ask or maybe wheel and deal with them? Worst they will do is say, no idea when the next special is and NO DISCOUNT FOR YOU!

can't hurt to try.
I'll second that Jeffie7 and wait a while to see is EW bring out a special offer of some kind ? then I'll go straight ahead with purchase.

Thanks for all your feedback guys

Mm.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:03 PM
Silver Member

askipper is on a distinguished road

Yep. I got mine free when I bought HS so wait. Also, I don think its the cost as much as hard drive space and performance required to run Full

iMac i7 2.93GHz Quad Core, 16GB Ram, Logic 9

EWQL:
SO Plat, SC, HS Gold, Solo Violin, Pianos Gold, VOP, Ra, Silk, MOR, SD2, Gypsy (just got to learn how to use them now!)
Old 04-22-2012, 12:55 AM

Scrianinoff is on a distinguished road

I got QL Pianos (now QL Pianos Platinum) during a 75% discount on the Complete Composer's Collection. Even now with the 67% CCC discount it might be worthwhile to purchase it as part of the CCC. I don't know if you need any of the other instruments. Also don't think that the 75% and 67% is just a difference of 8%. For the 67% discount you actually have to pay 33% more than the 75% discount.

Then again, QL Pianos is worth the non-discounted full price! You won't find the sound quality of this instrument anywhere else, and I have (almost) all other piano libs. The flexibility of mixing the three different mic positions is also one of a kind. Doing 70% room, 50% player and 20% close gives you a wonderfull (classical) solo piano sound for example, that you cannot get anywhere else.

By the way the room mics aren't that reverby at all. The EW room in which the pianos were sampled has a wonderful focused and warm acoustic signature, but is not booming, boxy or drowning in endless tails. The best results I get are using exactly this mix of mics, switching off the internal reverb of QL Pianos and running the mics separately through some carefully chosen reverbs, such as QL Spaces and some good algorithmic reverbs.

There is still some room for improvement in the velocity layer transitions of some keys. In some velocity ranges, let's say from 60 to 80, some keys sound definitely brighter than adjacent keys. To my ears, this probably was the state of the Steinway piano the day it was sampled. If it would be my piano, I would call in the technician right away to fix the intonation issues. I think most piano owners would, unless they have it just for room decoration. Still, it's my favourite piano! You can work around most intonation issues, by outputting some offending keys to another output and filtering them appropriately and/or scaling the velocities for those keys appropriately. And, East West is still releasing updates for this lib, so it's even getting better and better.

Further, especially the Steinway they selected for sampling is an excellent choice! One of the best sounding Steinways recorded and sampled I have to say. Its soft velocities are rich, warm and silky soft, and its 110-127 velocities are one of a kind again, they weren't shy or 'afraid to damage' the piano in producing those extreme velocities, on some keys I think they must have used a hammer to get those Horowitz like thunderous sounds.

Edit: For a few years now, the 75% CCC discount was only around Christmas, I believe, at least that's when I got my CCC once. So you might have to wait a long time for that. Yet, you'll never now what EW is up to ;-)

Last edited by Scrianinoff; 04-22-2012 at 01:54 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
ql p