Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)
Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 08:22 PM

amp is on a distinguished road
Default legato articulation vs legato script

can someone please tell me the what i would use either for. I don't understand why I have an articulation for legato, but then I have a script for legato too. I've set up the CC codes in cubase the same way the manual suggests to be able to activate the legato scripts (which btw, seems extremely fiddly - do I have to draw this in for every legato note I want to hear?), but don't hear any difference. If I just choose the legato articulation, it's ok, but I wouldn't exactly say it's smooth uninterrupted and realistic - much better in the solo violin in Gypsy tho, than I can elicit in my Gold solo violin.

any assistance appreciated
Old 04-27-2012, 10:07 PM

anyone?
Old 04-28-2012, 03:06 PM
Gold Member

lejmer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by amp View Post
anyone?
What library are you refering to? Symphonic Orchestra?

The legato script fakes a legato when no legato samples are available (although usually not that well). Symphonic Orchestra uses smother transitions in their QLegato and Legato patches, but they aren't true legato. If you own a library like the Solo Violin or Hollywood Strings, the legato patches are the way to go most of the time, since they have actual recorded samples of legato transitions, that are triggered when you change notes.
My name is Anthony (birthname Anton) Berlin, and I am a professional composer living in Sweden. I'm not going to bore you with which sample libraries I own, but I'd love to have a chat with you, about everything between heaven and earth. Take care!

www.anthonyberlin.com
Full Showreel 2013 (YouTube)
Old 04-28-2012, 04:09 PM

thank you. So if it's better to use the legato patches, what about portemento? I have symphonic orch gold and like using the solo string master patches but apart drawing in a pitch shift, which seems pretty old school, I can't seem to find a way to get a decent portemento.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:51 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
thank you. So if it's better to use the legato patches, what about portemento? I have symphonic orch gold and like using the solo string master patches but apart drawing in a pitch shift, which seems pretty old school, I can't seem to find a way to get a decent portemento.
That's because portamentos can't be emulated realistically. There are portamentos in HS and the Solo Violin though. With Symphonic Orchestra you don't get true legato (portamentos, slurs, bow changes), because when SO was made, good enough computers to handle true legato didn't exist. At least not if you also wanted multiple dynamic levels.
My name is Anthony (birthname Anton) Berlin, and I am a professional composer living in Sweden. I'm not going to bore you with which sample libraries I own, but I'd love to have a chat with you, about everything between heaven and earth. Take care!

www.anthonyberlin.com
Old 05-02-2012, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lejmer View Post
That's because portamentos can't be emulated realistically. There are portamentos in HS and the Solo Violin though. With Symphonic Orchestra you don't get true legato (portamentos, slurs, bow changes), because when SO was made, good enough computers to handle true legato didn't exist. At least not if you also wanted multiple dynamic levels.
so is there no way at all to get a portamento out of gold?
Old 05-02-2012, 05:31 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
so is there no way at all to get a portamento out of gold?
Not realistically, no. There are some portamento samples in the 1st violins or 2nd violins I believe, that go a fifth up or down. That might help you with some of your portamentos. But that is, as you can probably imagine, not very helpful most of the time.

www.anthonyberlin.com
Closed Thread