Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Hardware
Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 09:47 AM
Silver Member

Erik Wietzel is on a distinguished road
Default 4 years out and I'm lost!

I'm lost !!!

Going back to DAW after a few years out, I'm planning to buy a new config as mine is already 7 years old (no multiple core, only 3 gig ram...)
I 've never been able to use my Platinum SO on it, nore the Play Plus I've bought. Nore the conv reverb from my MoR and VoP. Sad story, I believe you're already in tears.
Anyway anyhow, I'm back at it and Ihaving browsed dozens of pages through the forums in search of tips and... I must admit I'm lost. JBridgde, VEP, 2600k, SSD... what's the hell is going on here, I don't understand a word ?!
I might overstate a tiny bit but so much has happened in 4 years it seems like the threads have mutated into New Scientist ones, with all these specs, debate over 980 vs 980x and the likes...
I don't own HS nor HB yet, don't much plan to buy them in the next future but plan to upgrade my samples to PLAY versions.
I'm composing for the - small - screen from time to time and expect to go the Reaper route. With SD2 in target, and quite a few VSTi to spice it all. And I need to open a screen inside the sequencer. No huge templates, but the bigger the easier
Please, would you help to sort it out, as far as a CPU, MOBO, HD, RAM are concerned ? I don't think I need the latest/most powerful system and my budget would rather be 1500 than 3000 for a DIY PC computa.
A very big THANKS for any hints, tips or links I could use.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:15 AM
Gold Member

lejmer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Wietzel View Post
I'm lost !!!

Going back to DAW after a few years out, I'm planning to buy a new config as mine is already 7 years old (no multiple core, only 3 gig ram...)
I 've never been able to use my Platinum SO on it, nore the Play Plus I've bought. Nore the conv reverb from my MoR and VoP. Sad story, I believe you're already in tears.
Anyway anyhow, I'm back at it and Ihaving browsed dozens of pages through the forums in search of tips and... I must admit I'm lost. JBridgde, VEP, 2600k, SSD... what's the hell is going on here, I don't understand a word ?!
I might overstate a tiny bit but so much has happened in 4 years it seems like the threads have mutated into New Scientist ones, with all these specs, debate over 980 vs 980x and the likes...
I don't own HS nor HB yet, don't much plan to buy them in the next future but plan to upgrade my samples to PLAY versions.
I'm composing for the - small - screen from time to time and expect to go the Reaper route. With SD2 in target, and quite a few VSTi to spice it all. And I need to open a screen inside the sequencer. No huge templates, but the bigger the easier
Please, would you help to sort it out, as far as a CPU, MOBO, HD, RAM are concerned ? I don't think I need the latest/most powerful system and my budget would rather be 1500 than 3000 for a DIY PC computa.
A very big THANKS for any hints, tips or links I could use.
For 1500 you can get alot. I would recommend a motherboard that can handle 128 gb RAM and the latest Intel CPU Socket (which if you don't know is the connector on the motherboard where you put the CPU). Then you don't have to upgrade for a few years, even if you buy HS and HB.

Then for a CPU, buy an Intel Core i7-3930K CPU or something. It will last you at least 4-5 years, I would imagine.

Then go for 24 GB ram or more (RAM is cheap, so 24 gb is perfectly gettable with your budget), and 2-3 SSD drives. SSD is a technology that allows for very very fast reading and writing to the discs (and are generally much safer than regular harddrives, since they are not mechanical), but they cost alot. Still, libraries load 5-20 times faster, and with large templates, that's a huge timesaver (especially with HS and HB, if you buy that in the future).

For the SSD's buy a 60 GB or 128 GB drive for the OS, and two 60 GB drives or something for the samples (and in the case of Symphonic Orchestra, the mic positions) you use the most.
My name is Anthony (birthname Anton) Berlin, and I am a professional composer living in Sweden. I'm not going to bore you with which sample libraries I own, but I'd love to have a chat with you, about everything between heaven and earth. Take care!

www.anthonyberlin.com
Full Showreel 2013 (YouTube)
Old 04-29-2012, 11:22 AM
Silver Member

Thank you Lejmer !
Old 04-29-2012, 11:30 AM
Silver Member

Si I understand you can choose wich mic position you can stream ? I mean, spreading the mic postions-samples to different HD ? The string close on an SSD, the others on another SATA, for instance ?
Old 04-29-2012, 01:26 PM
Gold Member

lejmer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Wietzel View Post
Si I understand you can choose wich mic position you can stream ? I mean, spreading the mic postions-samples to different HD ? The string close on an SSD, the others on another SATA, for instance ?
Yes, you can do that (although you'll have to use a program like Junction Link Magic for that, there's a great tutorial on that here on the board so just do a search for Junction Link Magic and you'll find it).
My name is Anthony (birthname Anton) Berlin, and I am a professional composer living in Sweden. I'm not going to bore you with which sample libraries I own, but I'd love to have a chat with you, about everything between heaven and earth. Take care!

www.anthonyberlin.com
Full Showreel 2013 (YouTube)
Old 04-30-2012, 03:34 PM
Silver Member

Thanx, I've checked it out :-)
Checked what is VEP as well. Note quite sure how many SSD drives would my new set get benefit of, it's hard not to go overkill :-)) MoBo is tough choice too.
BTW, are you Anton Berlin ? If so, 1000 congratz for your composition n' arrangements ! Amazing !!!
Old 05-11-2012, 06:23 AM
Silver Member

JBlongz is on a distinguished road

Would you consider an iMac with Quad Core i7? You can always attach SSDs via thunderbolt with Lacie Little Big Disk. This is the most tidy setup with great performance. It's equivalent to my desktop, which I spend $4,000U+ (USD). Current iMac wasn't out then...and I was intrigued by the water cooling unit. I have setup the iMac as stated for other producers I consult..they are extremely happy. If you're interested in that, I can help you optimize the setup. Also consider Vienna Ensemble Pro. It's a staple in my rig.