Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)

Old 04-12-2017, 06:22 PM
Gold Member

LMG is on a distinguished road
Default Which is your current DAW ? Need help deciding.

Hey folks. I am a long time Sonar user. Actually, I've stick to Sonar 7 Producer Edition and never upgraded.

Now, I am considering either upgrading to the new series of Sonar, OR move to a new DAW (probably Cubase) to use my East West libraries.

The most important items to my needs are:

1. MIDI editing capabilities and workflow
2. VSTs and plug-ins compatibility (I heard some Waves plugins don't work on Sonar)
3. Stability
4. Sync to Picture

Almost every single guy I've seen in YouTube, writing orchestral stuff or trailer music, was using Cubase. Even Hans Zimmer uses it.

Thing is...I've heard Sonar has catch-up during the last year, and what's more, they've just released an update that apparently puts MIDI editing features to match competence (see here: https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Kno...RVEnhancements) I've even seen "velocity relative scaling" features, like the one in Cubase.

Anyways, I need to decide between Sonar and Cubase and cannot make up my mind (you are free to suggest other DAWs. I've heard many prefer Digital Performer, and also the trendy Studio One).

Thanks a lot for your help and input.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member

C4L88 is on a distinguished road

I personally use Logic, but if I were to switch I would probably go with either Cubase or Digital Performer; probably Cubase.

I haven't had much time using Cubase so I can't fairly comment on it's MIDI editing/workflow, but enough people use it that I can only assume it is good.

Meanwhile, I DO have Digital Performer and it has its ups and downs. The one feature it has that is amazing is "chunks" and V-Rack
The V-Rack is sort of like a built in Vienna Ensemble Pro, hosting all your VSTs while chunks are essentially versions or "projects inside projects" that you can easily switch to, so you could essentially have the whole film's score inside one master project, and using the V-Rack you won't have to load the instruments all over again.
For instance, Logic has "Alternatives" which I use frequently for hosting different versions of a project, but if I were to switch and not using VEPro, I'd have to load all my instruments again; big time waster.
Coming from Logic the MIDI editing is good but just a slightly different workflow that I would have to get use to, but fully capable.
However, Digital Performer 9 hasn't always been the most stable DAW the few times I've used it. Prone to multiple crashes on initial launch, though pretty smooth once running. I've once had to open and re-open it about 9 times before I was able to start working.
-All Samples on External 4TB OWC Thunderybay 4
-Logic Pro X (10.3), OS X 10.11. (El Capitan)

SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/conrad-robertson

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music." -Gustav Mahler
Old 04-13-2017, 08:14 AM
Diamond Member

jspencer is on a distinguished road

I used Sonar for 20+ years before switching to Cubase and Logic a few years ago (last version I used was X3). Sonar IMO is an excellent DAW, but I switched because I was scoring more to picture and found it lacking in that department. Sonar 7 is very dated, so now is a good time to switch DAW's because the latest versions of Sonar a much different than what you're used to....plus it's now subscription based, which is a major downside. I would have a serious look at all of the DAW's that offer a free trial such as Cubase, Studio One, Digital Performer, and Pro Tools (I think PT still has a trial). You should also look at Reaper and Bitwig just to say you've tried them out. IMHO, Cubase 9 is your best bet for PC if you're scoring to picture....you can't go wrong.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:06 AM
Silver Member

tommyrack13 is on a distinguished road

Just switched from Logic to Cubase Pro 9 within the past month and I'm really happy. Still only worked through a few pieces in the new DAW (Cubase), but it seems to do everything you'd want it to, and well! Definitely worth getting the trial version and seeing if it works for you.

T
Various EWQL & other libraries - Cubase Pro 9.5 - Logic Pro X - Sibelius 7
Old 04-13-2017, 07:05 PM

ecurb is on a distinguished road

I use Reaper, which I know isn't generally considered a go-to for MIDI work. It does have an incredibly open and flexible framework - I honestly haven't found any sort of music recording/mixing challenge that it hasn't been able to meet with a bit of tinkering - and also has a ridiculously light performance footprint. I haven't personally done any video sync with it, but Google tells me that stuff is supported at any rate.

That said, the usual advice I've seen is to stick with the DAW you know unless you've got a real, solid reason to change... I've played with trial versions of most of the big players at one point or another, and they all seem quite awkward to me, but I expect that's just because I am too used to Reaper's way of doing things.

Bruce.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:44 PM
Gold Member

Thanks a lot everyone. While we wait for anyone else to chime in, I wanted to ask to those using Cubase, if the "VST Expression" is a deal breaker for you, or if you don't use it that much. Thanks!
Old 04-20-2017, 05:42 PM

JerryLan is on a distinguished road

I have a subscription to Sonar and it has served me well. I would chuck it all though for one which has comprehensive video instructions included. I learn better with step by step video instruction. My main complaint with Sonar has always been that the STAFF VIEW was better in Pro Audio 9, many years ago, than it is in the current version. I would like to see them offer a more Finale-like interface so that those of us who have learned to use the staff as composers can better input their ideas.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:34 PM
Gold Member

Here are the new MIDI implementations in Sonar's latest update, with GIFs explaining the features: http://blog.cakewalk.com/sonar-2017-...to-the-future/

What do you think? I guess it's nothing new that Cubase can't do, right?
Old 04-24-2017, 07:46 AM
Diamond Member

jspencer is on a distinguished road

Yeah, nothing groundbreaking there....but I did always like the PRV features in Sonar. Yes, Cubase does all of this; Cubase 9 Pro is hard to beat. This past weekend, I loaded up a 150 track template from my slave (along with about 30 additional tracks on the MacBook pro), a video file, and put Cubase 9 to the test. Not a single crash! IMO, the best version to date.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:42 PM

edierobin is on a distinguished road
Default Cubase 9 vs ProTools 11... Scoring

I have Pro Tools 11 with Sibelius for notation etc... What is the compelling argument for me to switch to Cubase 9 for sync work to picture? Depth of traacks? other processing capabilities? Has anyone ever created a visual schematic of various EW CC hardware/software workflows? For those of us starting into CC, it is helpful to weigh the pros and cons against one another, budgeting, knowing good starting points ... technical advantages of choices... Any training videos on tech set ups? Many thanks.