Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Music Cafe
Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 04:43 PM

IcePhixia is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to IcePhixia
Wink New Song --=All Night Long=--

My new song >>> All Night Long <<<

I moved my studio to a bigger room and tried all the new things I've learned over the last couple of weeks

Created the drums, grabbed my bass and added the bass-line, and then jumped in with my trusted old PRS

I tried Goliaths various drums, but in the end I used BFD 1.5 for the drums

Check it out and let me know what you guys think - how is the overall sound so far?
I haven't really dived into mixing that much. This is more a "RAW" recording with no major mixing at all...just levels and some side comp on drums - pritty much it

Old 04-30-2012, 05:20 PM
Silver Member

soapmak3r is on a distinguished road

Sounding good. Your levels are all fine from what I can hear. Is the bass and guitar your own live playing? Sounding tight, and crunchy! Good stuff.

I think that BFD is excellent. It is the 'EastWest Quantum Leap' of drum sample libraries. I do think that you need to mess around with it a bit to get a more human, live feel to it though.
GeForce 760 2GB
Steinberg UR824

Software: Windows 7 64 bit. Reason 6.5. Cubase 8 Pro. EastWest Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra Gold Complete Edition. EastWest Pianos Gold. Hollywood Strings Diamond. Stormdrum 3. Ghostwriter. BFD 2.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapmak3r View Post
Is the bass and guitar your own live playing? Sounding tight, and crunchy! Good stuff.
Thanks Soapmak3r Yup, I played both the Bass & Guitars

Quote:
I think that BFD is excellent. It is the 'EastWest Quantum Leap' of drum sample libraries.
So do you own BFD as well? I have been really battling with BFD for over 2yrs, and finally starting to make sense out of all those channels...room, pzm, overheads, direct..i mean it can get loaded sometimes

Quote:
I do think that you need to mess around with it a bit to get a more human, live feel to it though.
Yup, I will add a bit more room channel maybe and play around with the PZM and Room mics to see if I can get more "human" feel like you say, maybe less robotic timing as well
Old 04-30-2012, 05:55 PM
Silver Member

soapmak3r is on a distinguished road

I have BFD 1, but these days I have a drumkit and a set of drum mics that has completely taken over my spare bedroom lol

I tend to do a mix of the overhead and direct mics in BFD and only use a tiny bit of the 'PZM' and 'room' mics as I never found them that useful regardless of how I had them set up. I think it is better to add your 'room' sound with with your own preferred reverb.

Then there is the robotic/human setting for timing which is good, but there is also a deviation setting that allows you to kind of randomize the velocity of notes so that the sound isn't identical each time a phrase repeats. You have to be kind of subtle with it though. It looks like a mirrored velocity curve and you can drag it around to get the feel you want.

It's a very good program, probably much better if I had a good electronic kit instead of a weighted keyboard as I find programming beats can really time consuming.
GeForce 760 2GB
Steinberg UR824

Software: Windows 7 64 bit. Reason 6.5. Cubase 8 Pro. EastWest Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra Gold Complete Edition. EastWest Pianos Gold. Hollywood Strings Diamond. Stormdrum 3. Ghostwriter. BFD 2.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:28 PM

I have been battling with BFD 1.5's Kick-drum sound for like ages...until I learned how to use kick+snare bus-compression

But without the bus-comp, no matter how hard you EQ or comp the direct channels, the kick just sounded weak. You can boost the 50-63hz all you want, remove all the 200-500hz range, boost 3khz...it never really made the kick sound thick and powerful

Not to mention the routing options within BFD - you can really send all the room,pzm,overhead and direct channels into a bus1 channel if you want and then use that 1 ch to do the magic... that Is what Ive done with this track....I don't like to end with like 16ch of things and then try to control all of that..it gets crazy - and I have no real drum kit any more - helps with a real drumkit to kind of remind you how things sound
Old 05-01-2012, 03:28 AM
Platinum Member

Denny S. is on a distinguished road

Really cool track! It's interesting to hear some rock stuff on this forum which I think is rather rare.

Samplitude 11 Pro
Intel i7 950
48GB DDR3
M-Audio Delta 1010LT
3x 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSDs (Streaming)
3x 1TB WD Black Drives (Storage)
Closed Thread

Tags
bfd, goliath, mixing