Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > The Suggestion Box > PLAY - Suggestions
Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 08:47 PM

DrTarantism is on a distinguished road
Default All drums should be multi-output

PLAY should allow you to route individual drums (snare, kick, hat) separately so that I can process them with effects more easily. Kicks in particular often need special treatment so that they work well with the bass. This is particularly the case with Ghostwriter, Ministry of Rock and Dark Side.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:00 PM
Platinum Member

trumpoz is on a distinguished road

ProDrummer allows this - I wonder if it would be able to be reverse-engineered. Given EW tend not to take the 'living library' model, apart from bug-fixes, it might not be done (this is also one reason why they are able to discount their libraries so heavily after 12-18 months).

However, there is a work around for it (it is a little more fiddly):
- Create a separate midi track and channel for each part of the kit (kick, snare, toms, HH, OH)
- load the kit that you need 5 times in to Play on 5 separate midi channels.
- Route each kit to a separate output in Play (bottom right hand corner of the Play interface in case you haven't seen it).
- So long as the additional outputs are activated in your DAW then you will be able to process each instrument individually.

I used to do this before getting Pro-Drummer.

Remember: save the instance you have created in Play as a multi so you don't have to redo everything for new projects.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:43 PM

DrTarantism is on a distinguished road

Thats a great idea. Thanks.
Old 08-29-2015, 01:46 AM

CSMT is on a distinguished road
Default Mono outputs on kick?

Interesting thread. I have Pro Drummer now, and as you say it has separate outs for each part of the kit. However, since play only appears to have stereo outputs, it means sending the kick through one. That seems a bit odd - should be mono?!

So, if the kick has one mic, what is being sent to the kick channel? The kick in the left and right?
Old 01-14-2016, 09:34 AM

miekwave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTarantism View Post
PLAY should allow you to route individual drums (snare, kick, hat) separately so that I can process them with effects more easily. Kicks in particular often need special treatment so that they work well with the bass. This is particularly the case with Ghostwriter, Ministry of Rock and Dark Side.
YOu can already do this within play - Duplicate the track up to 16 times in the same play instance, assign differt buss outputs on Play Mixer to your Daw Buss input.
YOu can even use the same MIDI channel for all 16 layers - for each channel (instrument) insert a MIDI filter on your daw's channel output per instrument, what this will acomplish is that it will play all drum parts on one midi channel and each section is split into one of 16 busses.

You can then save your VSTi instance and track configuration for easy recall later (depending on your daw's ability to vsti savestate between projects)
Closed Thread