Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Hardware

Old 06-07-2017, 12:22 AM

Guttalaser is on a distinguished road
Default Do i need 2 hdd for Composer Cloud?

Hi, i'm thinking about pulling the trigger on Composer Cloud.
My platform is a workstation/desktop replacement grade notebook (HP 8770w i7 16gb ram Win 7-64 with 2 usb 3.0 ports) and the DAW is Reaper.
I know that i need at least an SSD usb 3.0 drive (i'm thinking about the Samsung t3 1tb) for streaming, but i don't understand if i need also a big "download" disk. I mean a download disk for downloading all the libraries and the SSD for installing and than streaming.

Tnx for your help.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:35 PM

PaulieDC is on a distinguished road

Hi, if you go for Composer Cloud or Cloud X, you'll be downloading a ton of data so you'll really want a dedicated backup drive for that, 2TB mechanical drives are pretty cheap. It's simply for backup and as the libraries get updated through the EW Installation app you can keep your backup drive sync'd and always have the latest, in case on a necessary reinstall. BTW, yes, you want that SSD for your actual streaming libraries, especially for USB 3.0, it's a must.

If you go for Composer Cloud Plus, the $49 everything plan, you have no choice, you'll need to buy EW's 2TB drive with everything on it. That's my 1st choice anyway. EW uses a really nice Buffalo drive, I was impressed. If you have the budget, I would just get that as your 2TB backup and you don't have to download anything, it's all preloaded!. If you decide to go to the Plus Plan, you'll have it all.

But either way, yes, you'll want a 2nd drive as a backup, either one you buy, or EW's that's preloaded.
My Amateur Home Studio: NI K.Kontrol S49 | Studio One Pro | EW Hollywood Diamond Everything | Komplete Ultimate 11 plus Symphony Series Strings & Brass | PreSonus Studio 192 Mobile pushing pair of Eris E5s & T10 sub | PreSonus FaderPort | Two analog gems: AKG C414 XLS Mic and a Taylor 618e v2. Oh, PC: Home built 6-core i7-4930K | 64GB | GTX1080 | 32TB total drive space w/backup drives. Win 10 & EWHO & Komplete 11 all on separate SATA SSDs, soon to upgrade to NVMe SSDs.

Last edited by PaulieDC; 08-02-2017 at 02:38 PM. Reason: for clarity
Old 08-03-2017, 12:17 AM

Tnx PaulieDC,
yep i know that a backup disk is good and an ssd usb3 is a must.
But my question is a little different. What i want to know is if i need 1 drive for the dowload AND 1 drive for the install.
In other words: the online procedure of the Composer Cloud (not plus) is in 2 steps? (first download and then install) or the download IS the install at the same time.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:09 PM

Oh! My bad. One drive is fine, download it on there and install away. There may be some unzipping to do but the "install" drive is simply all the files. And then buy a 2nd drive as a paranoid backup for afterwards, lol!
My Amateur Home Studio: NI K.Kontrol S49 | Studio One Pro | EW Hollywood Diamond Everything | Komplete Ultimate 11 plus Symphony Series Strings & Brass | PreSonus Studio 192 Mobile pushing pair of Eris E5s & T10 sub | PreSonus FaderPort | Two analog gems: AKG C414 XLS Mic and a Taylor 618e v2. Oh, PC: Home built 6-core i7-4930K | 64GB | GTX1080 | 32TB total drive space w/backup drives. Win 10 & EWHO & Komplete 11 all on separate SATA SSDs, soon to upgrade to NVMe SSDs.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:30 PM

Ok tnx so much Man
(Hey Man... your pc... is the craziest no-limits monster i ever seen! Big money for an "hobby"! ;-) )
Old 08-04-2017, 12:07 AM

It's actually my photo and video editing machine that also became a DAW, lol.

Tags
hdd, ssd usb3