Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)

Old 10-27-2018, 10:41 AM

Horizon is on a distinguished road
Default Was the Misty Mountains song composed with EastWest?

The Hobbit - Far Over the Misty Mountains Cold (Extended Cover) - Clamavi De Profundis

I am going to buy an orchestral library this or next month. I've got a very particular image of how the instruments shall sound like for my purpose. I have listened to the aforementioned song and this is how I want it to sound. Especially the first strings have mesmerised me.

I like this cinematic sound. It doesn't sound too much like an orchestra hall (less reverb) – not too crisp and not too realistic, but Hollywood and ambient.

I want you guys to help me to find the right sound, please. To do an easier decision, please listen to the first World of Warcraft soundtracks (I know that they're partially real recordings) and to the original soundtracks of The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit.

Yesterday I've tried out the libraries from ComposerCloud (unfortunately Gold, which has got limited microphone positions). It is really hard to tell whether Hollywood Orchestra or Symphonic Orchestra comes closer, especially when you haven't rebuilt a complete track.

Hollywood Orchestra sounds less like a real recording, which I prefer, but the thing is the demos from the website sound really "in your face". That makes it sound more like for Harry Potter or Star Wars instead of the aforementioned movies. Symphonic Orchestra is quieter and lighter. To my ears, it is more determined for the mysterious and emotional parts of a symphonic piece. Otherwise, in Symphonic Orchestra, I think the reverberation is too realistic.

Sorry when I am confusing you with my weird problems. I'm a noob in this area with great musical ideas who wants to realise it in Logic Pro X, unfortunately struggling with doing a decision.

Obviously, I am missing the fact that you can tweak around the settings and make everything sound like you need it and that you don't have to play punchy parts and adjust the volumes (?).

Can you please help me? I know some of you are very experienced with the EastWest libraries and surely someone can help me to know which library I should play around with (It sucks, that Hollywood Orchestra hasn't included the scraped Gong from Symphonic Orchestra .).

Last edited by LMW; 10-28-2018 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

LMW is on a distinguished road

Hey Horizon,

since you have the ComposerCloud, you're able to to try out the Hollywood
and the Symphonic Orchestra. Do you already have a mock-up that we can listen to?

I think that we would then be able to give you a bit more
realistic feed-back on what to improve on your end.

Helpful links: Sample Path, Library Sizes, Tips and Tricks, On Harddrives, On DAWs
Hardware: OS W7 Pro, i7-4910MQ 2,9 GHz (Overclock to 3,9 GHz), 32GB RAM, int. 3TB 840 EVO SSDs,
ext. 1TB Samsung T1 + 6TB backup + UR22 Interface + Kawai MP7 (88 Keys) + Yamaha MS60S Speakers
Software: Cubase Pro 8.0.40, PLAY v6.X.X, EastWest et multi alii
Old 10-30-2018, 09:38 AM

shayne.oneill is on a distinguished road

Like most of the bit tentpole films, the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings films used a proper orchestra for their sound tracks. If memory serves me right, the Hobbit was composed by Howard Shore and recorded with the London Symphony Orchestra. Not sure if they used LSOs inhouse singers or got someone in for the Vox.

You can get pretty close to it with Hollywood and Symphonic Orchestra, you just need to pay close attention to your articulations and dynamics. Vocals I *guess* you could do with the Hollywood or symphonic choirs and wordbuilder but I'm not personally convinced they are great choices for lead vox. Of course in this day and age you can fake it with your own singing and something like Melodyne and at least it'll be in key.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:23 AM

Horizon is on a distinguished road

I know that the original recordings were played by a proper orchestra. The song from the video is not. It is a fan-made song by Clamavi de profundis and I really think it is a software instrument. I have bought Hollywood Orchestra Diamond now and will try it out. Its really hard to figure it out.