Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Music Cafe
Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 10:29 AM
Producer

Doug Rogers is on a distinguished road
Arrow NEW 2008 CONTEST "SCORE THIS MOVIE"

We are pleased to announce a new 2008 CONTEST "SCORE THIS MOVIE".

Following the success of last years composer contest we have provided another original short movie for you to score.

This is a good opportunity to sharpen your composing skills and possibly win a great prize for your effort. At the very least it will give you a good audio/visual presentation for your personal website.

You can use all EASTWEST or EASTWEST/QUANTUM LEAP instruments to create the score, however, to add variety we would like to see an emphasis on our new PLAY collections.

THE CONCEPT OF THE MOVIE

This is a movie about the circularity of life - an impressionistic rendering of a life-cycle. A bit like a dream where meanings morph and merge, and forms evolve from one another. A flickering blob of "paint" turns into a "seed". Leaves turn into moths. Moths turn into birds. The landscape tosses and turns depending on the mood. You might think of it as an abstract painting coming to life.

0.00 - 0.11 Out of the void comes a seed. It arrives in a desolate landscape. (isolation but also hope, a flickering light of promise in a dark sea of randomness)

0.11 - 0.25 Despite the bareness, the seed manages to sprout into a plant. (birth, determination, struggling against the odds)

0.25 - 0.37 The plant grows, its energy spreads out into the surroundings, bringing it to life. (growing, expanding, a fountain of energy prevailing over lifelessness)

0.37 - 0.53 The red/green leaves of the plant mature and eventually fly off in all directions. We follow one on its journey into the distance. (joie de vivre, accomplishment, end of growth phase, beginning a purposeful journey into the unknown)

0.53 - 1.01 Over the horizon, the world is still abstract, unformed, monochrome. (emptiness, pre-dawn, infinite waiting)

1.01 - 1.10 A burst of energy signals the arrival of two entities, and forms begin to move and take shape. (arrival, ignition, spreading light in the darkness, anticipation)

1.10 - 1.30 We see the two entities are the original red/green Leaf and a new blue/orange leaf from elsewhere. The two fly around the growing formations in a mating dance, eventually merging. (dancing, excitement, playful, soul-mates find each other in the wilderness)

1.30 - 1.48 The monochromatic world explodes into life and color. The merged leaves become mature wings, and fly off through this new world to find the original void from which they came. (climatic, exhilaration, raison d'etre)

1.48 - 2.00 A change to monochrome marks a return to the void, and the wIngs dissolve and compact to become a new Seed, completing the cycle. (fulfillment, winding down, life fades in this form but continues in another, ending is beginning)

THE MUSIC

Is wide open for interpretation. It can be any genre or style, but should tell the story, and reflect the various events throughout. Some emotive guidelines are indicated in the parenthesis above, but feel free to re-interpret as neccessary to bring the movie to life. Ideally, the end result should be as though the music and pictures were made for each other.

THE WINNER

Will receive all PLAY products released before April 30, 2008. For each PLAY product the winner already has, they can substitute another EW produced product of equal of lesser value (based on the list price).

THE PRIZE
  • Quantum Leap Pianos - The most detailed collection of the world's finest grand pianos, recorded in one of the 'temples of sound', EASTWEST Studios (more RIAA certified platinum and gold records awarded than any other recording studios) with 3 mic positions for each piano.
  • Quantum Leap SD2 - The Next Generation - The sequel to Stormdrum, SD2 is a stunning collection of exceptional acoustic percussion instruments. The exclusive selection of drums and percussions exceeds all other existing libraries.
  • Quantum Leap Goliath - GOLIATH includes the entire 32 Gigabytes of content from Future Music magazine's VIRTUAL INSTRUMENT OF THE YEAR - COLOSSUS, plus an additional 8 Gigabytes of new content from the latest collections.
  • Fab Four - A virtual instrument inspired by the sounds of the Beatles, using the same kind of instruments and recording equipment the Beatles used to create their music.
  • Quantum Leap Gypsy - A collection of detailed virtual instruments capable of playing completely realistic performances. This product is mostly intended for film, tv and game composers.
  • Quantum Leap Voices of Passion - A virtual instrument of Female Vocalists from Wales, Syria, India, Bulgaria and America. Ethereal, Passionate, Flowing, Mysterious, Wailing and Whispering vocals for Film, TV and Game composers as well as Songwriters, New Age Artists and Zen Horticulturists.

DOWNLOAD MOVIE

You can download the movie here. We have provided multiple sizes and formats:

Quicktime 7 - H.264 codecWMV 9AVI
CONTEST RULES
  • You cannot enter a piece of music in the contest that has been posted in any previous contest here, or in the music section of this forum, any such entries will be disqualified.
  • A link to your entry (the movie with soundtrack and separate audio only MP3 file) must be placed in the 2008 CONTEST "SCORE THIS MOVIE" ENTRIES topic HERE
  • We require a MP3 link this time so it's easier for those listening to the entries to narrow their preferences before downloading all the movies.
  • One entry per composer.
  • List only the entry name (followed by the link to the entry, which must be active during the contest), followed by the composer and the products used - no other comments.
  • The contest will close JUNE 30, 2008, and the winner will be announced by JULY 15, 2008.
  • EASTWEST and the movie creator, ZENNOR ALEXANDER, will judge the contest.
  • ZENNOR's comments about the music will be limited to the top ten finalists.
  • We do not allow vocals (except vocal virtual instruments) or live instruments.
  • Only sounds from licensed EASTWEST and EASTWEST/QUANTUM LEAP collections can be used to create the score.
  • You can use your entry (with the movie) in your portfolio provided you credit the movie creator ZENNOR ALEXANDER.
  • Compositions that are subject to third party copyright, or compositions that include sounds from other products are not eligible.
  • The winner consents to EASTWEST/SOUNDSONLINE using their entry for promotional purposes on a non-exclusive basis. You will retain ownership of your composition.
Special thanks to ZENNOR ALEXANDER and FIONA SOE PAING for the use of the movie.

We wish you the best of luck, let's make this a good one!

Last edited by admin; 06-22-2008 at 07:41 AM.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:31 PM
Silver Member

flight is on a distinguished road

Yesss!

Another mind bending animation to work with. I'm already thinking, can't wait to get started!
Old 04-12-2008, 08:20 AM
Silver Member

teraslasch is on a distinguished road

woah! there is almost 1 month and 3 weeks to score this, it will be interesting to see the results! but will people with no PLAY instruments be at a disadvantage? Since it says that we should place more emphasis on the new play instruments . and the prizes are great! omg, the lucky winner will be so darn happy . but i hope east west could offer a runner up or two at least so there are more chances instead of giving everything to just one person , just a suggestion though =)

Last edited by teraslasch; 04-12-2008 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:57 AM
Silver Member

ppjmd is on a distinguished road

> Only sounds from EASTWEST and EASTWEST/QUANTUM LEAP collections can be used to create the score.

OK, fair enough, but how much leeway are we allowed in sound design? There are so many elements I'd like to use from other sources, but if I play by the rules, that means I'll have to do some pretty serious mangling to some EW content to get my ideas across. I'm assuming that's OK? If there's any question as to content usage, I suppose I could provide my Logic session?

Also, to echo the previous poster, what if we don't have much (if anything) in the way of PLAY libraries yet? This would be a great way to earn them, but I hope we wouldn't be at a disadvantage for not having them yet ;-)

Looks like fun!
www.whinecellarstudio.com

Mac Pro 8-core Xeon • 16 GB RAM • (10) SATA drives for samples • Logic Pro 9.1.1
iMac 21.5" C2D • 16 GB RAM • FW800 drive array (sample slave 1)
MacBook Pro 17" C2D • 8 GB RAM • FW800 drive array (sample slave 2)
300+ insts in VE Pro over cat6 network
Old 04-12-2008, 09:01 AM
Platinum˛ Member

nikolas is on a distinguished road

ppjmd: In the last competition I had extremely heavy sound design, to the point where the original sounds were not distinguished at all! So...

EW has more than 30 different products out there, not counting the 7 PLAY ones. I think you have a fair chance without them PLAY libraries...

Last edited by Doug Rogers; 04-12-2008 at 09:11 AM.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:15 AM
Platinum Member

Andrew Sigler is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppjmd View Post

Also, to echo the previous poster, what if we don't have much (if anything) in the way of PLAY libraries yet? This would be a great way to earn them, but I hope we wouldn't be at a disadvantage for not having them yet ;-)

That's life man. I won the Colossus contest a few years back and people complained they couldn't enter it because they didn't have the software! There's nothing stopping you from going out and buying all the PLAY lib's and using them...in fact, that might be part of the reason that EW is doing this contest...

-Andy
Old 04-12-2008, 09:57 AM
Silver Member

DarkIVI is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DarkIVI

I don't think...at least I hope, that it's not depending on what sounds you use but how creative you are with what you have and foremost how the music is.

But maybe I'm wrong

Last edited by admin; 04-12-2008 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:05 AM
Producer

Doug Rogers is on a distinguished road

There will be no bias about which instruments you use, we would just prefer to hear some new instruments included so the entries sound different to past contests, but the judging will be based solely on who created the best soundtrack, in our opinion.

Btw, we are extending the contest to June 30, as we want to provide ample time to get as many entries as possible.

- DR
Old 04-12-2008, 10:08 AM
Silver Member

bobbyem is on a distinguished road

EDIT

Ohh never mind... Doug answared my question before me.

Last edited by bobbyem; 04-12-2008 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:46 AM
Silver Member

teraslasch is on a distinguished road

i got a question for alexander, how long did u take to do this amazing animation?
Closed Thread