Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Hardware
Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 10:30 AM

Paul J. is on a distinguished road
Default Is it even possible under one hood?

Hey there,

We have purchased a Pro Mac for Audio/Video work and are packing pretty much everything EastWest has to offer. But my main issue is (surprise surprise) getting a big enough and working orchestra template from platinum xp. Is this even theoreticly possible?

Our exact setup is:

Pro Mac 2x 2.8 quad core
8gb Ram
Samples on 2x750gb 7200rpm hard drives in RAID.
Host programs on different hard drive.
Cubase Studio 4
Kontakt 3

Problems loading enough samples. Key Switches near impossible. Even by opening multiple kontakts. (One place said that should install multiple copies of Kontakt and open them like different programs. We have just opened multiple kontakts in cubase. is this an issue?)

Is the fact that cubase itself is 32bit a problem and if so will it be after play plus version of Platinum? Thought I read somewhere that shouldnt be. Then.... DFD is still a mystery to us and with the ammount of RAM we have well we thought we would'nt have too much problems. (which obviously isn't the case)

And when loaded samples show no memory problems, actually playing them (lots of them at a time ofcourse) it "maxes" out the cpu... as in actually using only 25% of our processor power but the limiter on Kontakt maxes out and seems that it doesnt use more than 1 core on each processor witch is really cool! (in opposite world...)

IF ANYONE could give us a helping hand or a point to the right direction, would be more than gratefull. We are walking in circles and bashing our heads constantly in the wall because of this. We just would love to get things up and working... and since some people SEEM to be happy with 1 cpu setups and well we have a decent setup it just makes me wonder... and then cry... and then cuddle up in a little ball and want to bash the Pro Mac with a baseball bat. But if someone could help me before getting to a sports store. I would be in eternal debt. Thank you forehand.

-Paul
Old 06-16-2008, 04:50 PM
Gold Member

johng is on a distinguished road

nobody is doing a full orchestral mockup with all sections in Platinum XP on a single computer. I am using six PCs and a Mac that is similar to yours.

John Graham
www.johngrahammusic.com
Old 06-16-2008, 05:03 PM
Diamond Member

A.Leung is on a distinguished road

same here
Old 06-16-2008, 05:14 PM
Diamond Member

Jeff Hayat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul J. View Post
One place said that should install multiple copies of Kontakt and open them like different programs.
Not sure if the architecture is the same, but I tried this in Cubase on WinXP, and wound up with worse performance than mulitple instances of 1 Kontakt .dll

Cheers.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:16 PM
Gold Member

Vincent Bergbahn is on a distinguished road

What can someone in the market for a Mac pro expect performance-wise? w/ EWQLSO PLAY w/QLP
Old 06-16-2008, 05:24 PM
Diamond Member

Jeff Hayat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Bergbahn View Post
What can someone in the market for a Mac pro expect performance-wise? w/ EWQLSO PLAY w/QLP
Could you make the question a bit more general?
Old 06-16-2008, 05:50 PM
Silver Member

Spinning poo machine is on a distinguished road
Default As for platinum, maybe, but for gold, no

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=59792

"In short --- we can now run an entire high end symphony on ONE MacPro WITH high end plug in reverb. NO pops, stops, clicks or gltches - just pure composer magic."

So yes, it does appear to be possible. I know there's a huge difference between platinum and gold, but man, you guys sure are rigid about sticking with the sacred cow of using multiple computers.

To me, it just sounds like you're running into one of those dumb little problems that makes a huge difference in performance. For example, I saw in one forum on this site a guy with a Mac Pro having similar issues, but then he just changed one setting in Logic and *poof*, the computer started doing its thing. How arrogant of everyone to just assume that the Mac Pro can't handle it when people who own it are saying there's just about no limit to it.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:41 PM
Platinum˛ Member

nickysnd is on a distinguished road

Here is one general question: What is good? Or, if that's not general enough, here's another one: What?
Old 06-16-2008, 11:36 PM
Gold Member

Vincent Bergbahn is on a distinguished road

Sorry for the confusion. But I'm getting confused with all this back and forths about Mac Pros. I can't afford to have multiple computers to do this nor do I want to get into the computer farm thing as this just complicates things. With that said what can I expect to do with only a well set up Mac Pro.

We could frame my question the reverse way. What can't you do with only 1 mac pro and EWQLSO PLAY or QLP (not at the same time)?

I was under the impression that I would be pretty set to go with 1 mac pro.

Maybe someone with only a mac pro could chime in here??
Old 06-16-2008, 11:48 PM
Platinum Member

OneThrow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickysnd View Post
Here is one general question: What is good? Or, if that's not general enough, here's another one: What?
How about:

?

Can't get anymore general than that. Can you?

Closed Thread