Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Hardware
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-17-2008, 04:25 PM
Spinning poo machine's Avatar
Spinning poo machine Spinning poo machine is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Prairieville, Louisiana
Posts: 416
Spinning poo machine is on a distinguished road
Default Could definitely use some advice for hard drives

Sorry if something has been posted like this before, but I read as far back as I was allowed in the forums and couldn't find the right answers. In another post, someone dropped this nugget about hard drives:

"The best setup is to have:

1. boot drive that holds the OS, the sequencer / DAW software (DP, Logic etc); your sample playback engine (Kontakt or MachFive) software should go here, though not the libraries,
2. one or more samples drives,
3. a drive to which the audio is recorded and from which audio is played back."

Ok, that helps a bit. But somewhere else, someone said specifically said that your sample libraries should go on an external drive(s), and not internal. Why is that? Aren't internal drives faster because of SATA II? As a matter of fact, someone recently posted that he was easily able to use Quantum Leap Pianos on one Velociraptor. Yeah, I can tell that drive's a beast, but hey, that's still an internal drive. What gives? And yes, I know that specific hard drive isn't exactly compatible with the Mac Pro, but I'm just trying to make a point.

And what about firewire 800 vs. eSATA? To me, eSATA looks better, but is not exactly compatible with Mac Pros. Regardless of that, I've read how to get around that problem, so I could definitely go with eSATA if I needed to. However, it appears difficult to find a rocksolid eSATA drive. The pricing's pretty good on them all (although that isn't an issue), but reliability and performance seem to be MAJOR issues with those things. So far it appears that they are either super fast and break on a whim (Iomega), or they're sluggish but have a good warranty and reliability (Seagate). What's the deal with that?

ANY help (recommendations, etc.) is greatly appreciated.
  #2  
Old 06-17-2008, 08:48 PM
LEX's Avatar
LEX LEX is offline
Platinum˛ Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: LA, CA
Posts: 2,813
LEX is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinning poo machine View Post
Sorry if something has been posted like this before, but I read as far back as I was allowed in the forums and couldn't find the right answers. In another post, someone dropped this nugget about hard drives:

"The best setup is to have:

1. boot drive that holds the OS, the sequencer / DAW software (DP, Logic etc); your sample playback engine (Kontakt or MachFive) software should go here, though not the libraries,
2. one or more samples drives,
3. a drive to which the audio is recorded and from which audio is played back."

Ok, that helps a bit. But somewhere else, someone said specifically said that your sample libraries should go on an external drive(s), and not internal. Why is that? Aren't internal drives faster because of SATA II? As a matter of fact, someone recently posted that he was easily able to use Quantum Leap Pianos on one Velociraptor. Yeah, I can tell that drive's a beast, but hey, that's still an internal drive. What gives? And yes, I know that specific hard drive isn't exactly compatible with the Mac Pro, but I'm just trying to make a point.

And what about firewire 800 vs. eSATA? To me, eSATA looks better, but is not exactly compatible with Mac Pros. Regardless of that, I've read how to get around that problem, so I could definitely go with eSATA if I needed to. However, it appears difficult to find a rocksolid eSATA drive. The pricing's pretty good on them all (although that isn't an issue), but reliability and performance seem to be MAJOR issues with those things. So far it appears that they are either super fast and break on a whim (Iomega), or they're sluggish but have a good warranty and reliability (Seagate). What's the deal with that?

ANY help (recommendations, etc.) is greatly appreciated.
I don't know who said go external. Internal is always better.

But eSATA should be right there with the internal SATA.

For MAC, get a eSATA card.

LEX
__________________
New:
Mac Pro 12 core 2.4/32gigs RAM - 10.12.6
Motu 424e - 2 x 2408mk3's/Lucid GENx192
UAD Apollo 8 Quad
Pro tools HD 12.8.1
UAD2 Quad satellite/OCTO Core PCIe
AVID Artist Control V2
Cranesong Avocet w Quantum DAC
Wire World Pro Audio WC, speaker and power cables.
JBL 6328P monitors, Original NS-10 monitors
  #3  
Old 06-17-2008, 09:19 PM
A.Leung's Avatar
A.Leung A.Leung is offline
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,424
A.Leung is on a distinguished road
Default

2 hidden ports on your MAc Pro next to the mother board. remove the fan assembly and drives and use this:
http://www.newertech.com/products/esata_cable.php

This will save you hundreds of dollars in buying a card. If your squeemish about taking your MAc apart then dont do it. PAy for the card.

For a good eSata drive try OWC. http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other...g/MEFW924AL1K/
Its waht I have. There great. Nice and fast and reliable.
  #4  
Old 06-17-2008, 10:34 PM
LEX's Avatar
LEX LEX is offline
Platinum˛ Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: LA, CA
Posts: 2,813
LEX is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Leung View Post
2 hidden ports on your MAc Pro next to the mother board. remove the fan assembly and drives and use this:
http://www.newertech.com/products/esata_cable.php

This will save you hundreds of dollars in buying a card. If your squeemish about taking your MAc apart then dont do it. PAy for the card.

For a good eSata drive try OWC. http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other...g/MEFW924AL1K/
Its waht I have. There great. Nice and fast and reliable.
NICE!!!!!!
LEX
__________________
New:
Mac Pro 12 core 2.4/32gigs RAM - 10.12.6
Motu 424e - 2 x 2408mk3's/Lucid GENx192
UAD Apollo 8 Quad
Pro tools HD 12.8.1
UAD2 Quad satellite/OCTO Core PCIe
AVID Artist Control V2
Cranesong Avocet w Quantum DAC
Wire World Pro Audio WC, speaker and power cables.
JBL 6328P monitors, Original NS-10 monitors
  #5  
Old 06-18-2008, 02:52 PM
Spinning poo machine's Avatar
Spinning poo machine Spinning poo machine is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Prairieville, Louisiana
Posts: 416
Spinning poo machine is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
I don't know who said go external. Internal is always better.

But eSATA should be right there with the internal SATA.

For MAC, get a eSATA card.

LEX
Oh really? If I'm catching what you say right, I think I shouldn't even need external drives for now, since the Mac Pro has the four ports. And yeah, I saw some benchmark tests somewhere on a Mac site that put eSATA right next to internal SATA.

Quote:
2 hidden ports on your MAc Pro next to the mother board. remove the fan assembly and drives and use this:
http://www.newertech.com/products/esata_cable.php

This will save you hundreds of dollars in buying a card. If your squeemish about taking your MAc apart then dont do it. PAy for the card.

For a good eSata drive try OWC. http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other...g/MEFW924AL1K/
Its waht I have. There great. Nice and fast and reliable.
Yeah, I had caught that article about the eSATA ports a few weeks ago. It seems pretty dumb that they'd put the fastest ports in the middle of no where in the computer, but going that route with Newer's cable seems like a good option. So thanks anyway. Also, thanks for putting the link to that hard drive enclosure on there. OWC seems like a trustworthy source, and they seem to have some pretty good stuff up their sleeves.

Thanks for the help.
  #6  
Old 06-18-2008, 06:17 PM
ewkarl7777 ewkarl7777 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 426
ewkarl7777 is on a distinguished road
Default

Where is the best place for sequencer project files? On the C:\ drive with the OS and sequencer? Or on the same drive as the samples?
  #7  
Old 06-18-2008, 06:56 PM
persentio's Avatar
persentio persentio is offline
Platinum˛ Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Singapore
Posts: 2,873
persentio is on a distinguished road
Default

I put mine on a totally dedicated drive for that purpose. It wouldn't really hurt to put them on the same drive as your OS and DAW though, but make sure nothing else is on that drive.
__________________
~=(PerSenTio)=~
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.