Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)
Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 05:24 PM
Silver Member

musicmad is on a distinguished road
Default Best piano plugin ???

Hi,

i know the answer to this question can only be based on personal preference alone, but from the majority of users out their, which (VSTI piano plugin) would you say sounds the most grand-est and realistic of them all...
Old 07-01-2008, 05:40 PM
Gold Member

johng is on a distinguished road

From what I've heard, EWQL's piano sounds mighty good, especially in the soft range (ppp-mp). But its power comes with the attendant large size and use of computer power.

But there are many others. I've used Ivory in scores where it is featured and I think it sounds very good. But if you want really, really soft, elegiac, floaty playing, it is hard to get that, even with 10 velocity layers per key.

John Graham
www.johngrahammusic.com
Old 07-01-2008, 09:46 PM

digital is on a distinguished road

Just a quick question for musicmad,

Is there a particular piano sound you prefer? I think knowing which piano sound you prefer/need can narrow down your choices by alot instead of finding "the best piano plugin" from such a huge array of plugins

All libraries have their pros and cons
Old 07-02-2008, 04:07 AM
Silver Member

musicmad is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your feedback guys..

Cheers
Musicmad
Old 07-02-2008, 05:29 AM
Platinum Member

chest is on a distinguished road

musicmad

This being EW's forum, you probably won't get much discussion of other makers' VI pianos here. It does look like EW's new pianos are hard to beat or even to equal, but if you're looking for something that will make lower demands on your computer.

Last edited by Doug Rogers; 07-02-2008 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:36 AM
Silver Member

teraslasch is on a distinguished road

pianoteq (modelling based, not sampled), the best i've felt.! every velocity counts, and the best part its only 15mb. if ure looking for an alternative from ewql pianos.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:36 AM
Silver Member

Michael Allen is on a distinguished road

I use Ivory and think it's fantastic. I have not tried the East West pianos yet but I think they'd be great.

michael

Last edited by Michael Allen; 07-02-2008 at 05:39 AM.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:31 AM
Platinum Member

chest is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by teraslasch View Post
pianoteq (modelling based, not sampled), the best i've felt.! every velocity counts, and the best part its only 15mb. if ure looking for an alternative from ewql pianos.
Though I haven't tried it, I've read that Pianoteq responds very well to touch, so I understand the "best I've felt" remark. But, judging by the demos that I've heard, I, for one, don't think it sounds enough like a piano (and I've also read that opinion expressed by others).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Allen View Post
I use Ivory and think it's fantastic. I have not tried the East West pianos yet but I think they'd be great.
I don't know what Ivory and EW Pianos are like to play. I seem to be one of the few people in the universe that doesn't rave over the sound of Ivory. I listened to several demos a few years ago and thought it sounded rather poor - though I've not heard the later Fazioli addition, which, I've read, is much better.

But try comparing the Ivory Debussy Arabesque demo (which I think sounds hideous) with the EW-Pianos demo of the same piece. Although I would say the latter has flaws, it's a million miles closer to a proper piano performance than the Ivory one.

Is there a Pianoteq demo of the same piece? I doubt if it would sound as real as the EW one.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:11 AM
Silver Member

teraslasch is on a distinguished road

hehe.. try downloading the piano teq demo and u will be amazed. just try it for urself, i wasnt convinced when i heard the demos
Old 07-02-2008, 10:35 AM
Silver Member

raywong is on a distinguished road

I tried the Piano Teq, it's got a lot of control including the hardness of the hammer. It is capable to create some very moody sounds. I'm looking for the best film style piano too.