Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)
Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 01:42 PM

dogpaw is on a distinguished road
Default Cubase 5 Audio Mixdown Error

Hi Everyone!

At first, I was not going to post this here as this is, after all, and EastWest Forum. But, after seeing other Cubase posts I felt that it would be OK to go ahead.

Here's the deal.

First, I have recently received about five new Plays from EW, and I LOVE them. I could go on and on, but I'll stop here, except to say that they perform well within Cubase 5, and I can't be happier with them.

But, I'm dead in the water in terms of audio mixdowns within Cubase 5; did not have this problem with Cubase 4.

I have tried technical support at Steinberg and have had no response. Generally speaking, I am very patient and I'm not putting any pressure on them, as this might be a busy time for them, as it is for so many of us.

So, since they haven't gotten back to me within a week and I'm still waiting on my ability/permission to post on the Cubase Forum, I thought I'd shoot the problem over here to my EastWest brothers and sisters.

THE PROBLEM

As I mentioned, playing even a very short piece (less than 30 seconds) WITHIN Cubase is fine. However, when I try to do an "audio mixdown" I get the following error. I have done a good deal of research on the Internet and this seems to be a common error, but they are all slightly different.

Here is that error:

"A serious error has occurred: Please try to save your document...." and so forth. (See my attachments in the zip file.)

If you are familiar with this error, then you will know that it goes on to tell you that if it continues to happen to send the log file to Steinberg Support. I've done that.

I am also attaching a ZIP file of what I sent to Steinberg Support.

So, the bottom line is this. I can open up Cubase 5. I can add all these beautiful EW PLAY instruments. And, I can create my music. But, when it comes to creating the final product, i.e., and audio mixdown, I'm dead in the water.

If anyone has any ideas on this at all, please shoot them to me.

Thank you!
Attached Files
File Type: zip CubaseAudioMixdown.zip (13.3 KB, 10 views)

"Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve." - Napoleon Hill
Old 04-02-2009, 01:54 PM
Platinum Member

playz123 is on a distinguished road

Off the bat, it sounds to me that you are simply overtaxing your existing system. As the piece progresses and you are streaming more and more audio , it may be that you are simply running out of resources. Have you tried freezing some of the tracks, converting some of the output audio to .wav files, reducing the number of effects etc.? I see no information in your post about your computer, how many tracks your project has etc., so I suspect most folks would require way more info and what you have and what you are doing before being able to comment further.
Mac Pro, 2.8 GHz, OS 10.8.2, 18 GB RAM, RME Multiface II with HDSPe interface. Cubase 7, Play editions of Hollywood Strings, Hollywood Brass, Symphonic Choirs, VOP, Fab Four, Gypsy, EWQLSO Gold Plus, SD2 Pro, Goliath, RA, Silk, QL Pianos and Spaces. EthnoWorld 4, Chris Hein Horns Pro, Chris Hein Guitar and Bass, Symphobia 1 & 2, LASS 2, Albion, VOXOS, Requiem Pro, Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian etc.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:01 PM

Good point, Playz! I should have fleshed out the details of my system a bit. Sorry.

Memory: 4 GB

Disk space: 1 TB (with 4 disks, with 2 of the disks striped (no parity) for speed)

CPU: 2.4GHz

The computer is performing well, I believe. Here is why I say this. This problem happens on ALL pieces.

Let's say I create a little two-measure melodic doodle using just one instrument (e.g., Gypsy violin). It plays wonderfully within Cubase 5. But ... even THAT simple project will take this audio mixdown error as indicated within the zip file.

If you or anyone else has any ideas, please keep them coming.

Thank you,

"Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve." - Napoleon Hill
Old 04-02-2009, 03:28 PM

Neckron23 is on a distinguished road

how are you exporting your files ? maybe try the individual export,when using batch x-port...
did you try to reinstall cubase5? do you export on 'real time?
Old 04-02-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neckron23 View Post
how are you exporting your files ? maybe try the individual export,when using batch x-port...
did you try to reinstall cubase5? do you export on 'real time?
I can't even get that far. I think I am simply going to have to uninstall and reinstall. I'll let you all know if I come up with another solution, too.

Stay tuned.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:08 PM

Well... I finally got down into the weeds, so to speak, and yanked a few files around and was able to do an audio mixdown. My brain is a little dead right now. I think in the end, it is a matter of hiding Cubase 4 from Cubase 5, as I think Cubase 5 is trying to use some files of Cubase 4 ... or, something like that.

After doing a great deal more research on Steinburg's Forum (I still don't have log-in access), I was able to get some thoughts on what I might do.

Probably what I am going to do is 1) hide, i.e., rename Cubase 4 to something else, 2) uninstall Cubase 5, and 3) re-install Cubase 5. If I do that, I will return to update this thread with more detail. Right now, if I gave advice as to what I did, I think I would lead people astray, and I don't want to do that.

I could also start ranting about how Steinburg Support still has not gotten back to me and about quality control with the development team, but I've been a developer and I am in computer support and I know that it truly is a tough job, and so I try to be forgiving. BUT ... there is no excuse for letting a customer twist slowly in the breeze. As a support person myself, I will always, notify a person that I will get back to that person. Steinberg does not seem to care about communications unless they are trying to sell you something. For East/West ... well, I had a problem this week an EW product, and they have already gotten back to me. So East/West gets a gold star this week!!! That kind of regard for the customer starts at the top ... so, thanks Doug and Nick.

Nevertheless, considering what people like Steinberg and East/West are doing ... well, I've been around enough to know that what they have done and are doing is truly amazing. And so for this, I try to cut everyone some slack.

So, anyway guys ... thank you very much for your input. If I come up with what I feel are solid directions for this fix, I will be back to post them.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:35 PM
Platinum Member

Daryl is an unknown quantity at this point

Does this affect you?

D
Old 04-03-2009, 04:52 AM

Thanks, Daryl. I would like to think that it would only affect me if I were in Europe, unless they are not routing the trouble tickets to the US.

As a side note and as a webmaster myself, these are the types of announcements that a company should place on a main support page of the website and not as an "hey, by the way" one-liner sticky bit.

Like I say, I'm a patient man, but I have NO patience for this type of conduct. There are numerous better ways to handle this, including an auto-reply on a trouble ticket.

In short, I believe they simply have no TRUE regard for their customers, and it seems to be a more prevelent form of conduct within the music business in general. I can always tell the difference between the great companies and the so-so companies.

Thanks again.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:38 AM

bclam1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bclam1

I think there are many problem in cubase 5.
When I open cubase 5 and open Play
It not show the 16 tracks channel mixer, but I do the same thing in other DAW (YAMAHA SOL2 and acid pro7) there is not any problem and work smoothy.
1 more problem is when U open PLAY in cubase and loaded my sounds, it will work smoothly in first time. When U re-open the file the sound crashed problem occuer unless I set a max. buffer size.
I have post this problem in stenberg forum. Sadly, there is no reply and update given......
Old 04-05-2009, 05:47 AM

Default Epilogue

I mentioned that I would be back to tie up this thread, after/if I came up with a fix.

But first, a word to bclam1 ... Cubase 5 has many, many bugs. The Steinberg Forum and the Internet in general is screaming for Steinberg to develop and release a service patch, upgrade, hot fixes ... ANYTHING ... to get the product working better than what it is. Like other fellow EW Forum members, e.g., my friend NASH, I, too, wonder why Cubase 5 came out when it did. But, it did, and now Steinberg's rush to get it out is causing some push-back amongst those who are devoted to the product. I like Cubase 4. I am disappointed, at this time, with Cubase 5. If Steinberg comes up with a fix release, I am flexible enough to change my opinion, if it truly becomes stable.

Now on with the "fix"...

Well, there wasn't one. Eventually, US Steinberg support got back to me. I am guessing, as Daryl had suggested, that the US support was overwhelmed with Europe away at the musicfest or whatever it is. But, the fix that was suggested at 5:30 PM on Friday, was not a fix. So, I finally realized I had to take the matter into my own hands and gut Steinberg from my PC and start over:

1 - Uninstalled Cubase 4 via the Cubase 4 uninstall program

2 - Uninstalled Cubase 5 via the Cubase 5 uninstall program

3 - Uninstalled anything Steinberg (e.g., HALionOne) via the Windows XP Add/Remove

4 - Did a Windows search on all of the drives looking for anything Steinberg and/or Cubase and hand deleted what I found.

5 - Emptied the Recyle Bin

6 - Ran a defragmentation against all of the physical disks

7 - Booted the PC

8 - Installed Cubase 5

9 - Installed Cubase 5's VST samples

10 - Opened the previously created project which only used EW soft synths, played it, and, FINALLY, was able to do an audio mixdown (I created an MP3 with high-quality settings).

So that's it. The bottom line is that Cubase 5 seemed to be going after Cubase 4 files or something similar to that when trying to do the audio mixdown. It would appear as though Steinberg needs to come up with some more robust instructions as to what to do if one has an earlier version of Cubase installed ... or for that matter ANY instructions at all for when one has an earlier version installed. As a former developer, I am painfully aware how much intense work it takes to produce a product without bugs. But, I also am aware from personal experience, that it CAN be done, if one truly has their heart in their job and a compassion for those who will have to use the product.

I hope all of this somehow helps those of you using Cubase 5 and having problems. If you are still using Cubase 4, I would stick with it until Steinberg releases some fixes for Cubase 5. And then, before you install Cubase 5, uninstall Cubase 4 (but keep the software handy in case you get fed up with Cubase 5 and want to go back to Cubase 4 ).

Thanks to those of you who provided input.

Closed Thread