Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Q&A with film composer John Powell

Old 09-10-2009, 04:57 PM
Gold Member

mezzoforte is on a distinguished road
Default Tempo

John,

Lots of respect for your work, I really dig your scores. Here's my two questions:

When deciding the tempo of a cue, what are the elements that influence your decision and in which ways?

Which pop/rock singers/groups were you listening as a teenager and still listening to?
Old 09-16-2009, 02:17 PM

jarduz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to jarduz
Default Two questions for you

Hi Mr. Powell,
congratulations for The ice age 3 the music was very cool and reflects the soul of that movie...
I know...is your job ...but i think like someone do it better than others...this someone are you!
I want to ask you if in a lot of kinds of movies what is a very difficult kind for you to compose?
I know you are professional but how you it faces your weakness to trare some advantage to obtain a perfect soundtrack?

Have you never refused work because you don't like that kind of movie?

Thank you to entertain all of us with your greats soundtracks!

Marco G.

JDZ
Old 09-22-2009, 12:32 PM

John Powell is on a distinguished road

When deciding the tempo of a cue, what are the elements that influence your decision and in which ways? Where it is in the film as a whole and the rhythms of the dialogue and the edits.

Which pop/rock singers/groups were you listening as a teenager and still listening to? I still find myself listening to the first 3 Ricky Lee Jones albums a lot.

I know you are professional but how you it faces your weakness to trare some advantage to obtain a perfect soundtrack? I suppose I try and study other music that I normally would not be listening to. To play it and get it under my fingers.

Have you never refused work because you don't like that kind of movie? Yes, a lot, and it drives my agent nuts.