Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Q&A with film composer John Powell

Old 09-24-2009, 07:46 PM

indiescore is on a distinguished road
Default From Your Project Studio to Post

Hello Mr. Powell,

Thank you for sharing your time.
I am aspiring and moving towards scoring larger budget projects from my project studio.

Regarding the process of bringing your (great) work from your project studio into the live recording session, and then into post:

1) What would be your guess on the average % of your actual synth based recordings & midi generated performances recorded in your project studio that are typically used in the final post mix with the session recordings?

2) Do you typically render stems in the project studio, or bring in a hard drive to the score session and or post with complete sequencer files, and then open?

3) Do you also utilize midi tracks outside of your project studio for any reason? (Maybe the producer on the fly wants to try different sounds / vst's with your midi tracks, um, well after the spotting session was done).

Thanks Again!

John
Old 10-01-2009, 02:26 PM

John Powell is on a distinguished road

1) What would be your guess on the average % of your actual synth based recordings & midi generated performances recorded in your project studio that are typically used in the final post mix with the session recordings?
It depends on the film - some are 95% live players and some are 75% me and the samples - but that type of score would not be orchestral at all. Some early scores I look back on now and regret not having recorded more live players.

2) Do you typically render stems in the project studio, or bring in a hard drive to the score session and or post with complete sequencer files, and then open? It's all printed in Protools as wide as we need and then replaced bit by bit. I only take a sequencer to the scoring stage to check for notes in the original midi orchestration.

3) Do you also utilize midi tracks outside of your project studio for any reason? (Maybe the producer on the fly wants to try different sounds / vst's with your midi tracks, um, well after the spotting session was done). I personally wouldn't ever do that.... you'd be walking into a large pile of shit if you did. But I do sometimes take a mobile version of my rig so I can work with the filmmakers in situ as it were.