Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)
Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 01:59 PM

Treppenwitz is on a distinguished road
Default Drum Maps for Sonar

Does anyone have some SD2 (or Goliath) drum maps for use in Sonar? I know I can make my own, but it's tedious work. If you've already done some, would you be willing to share?

I have some Sonar drum maps which I made to map keyswitches in EWQLSO platinum, if anyone is interested.

OS: Win7 x64, Mac Lion | RAM: 12GB | Library Drives: 4 x 500GB Seagate | Sound Card: Emu 1820, Saffire Pro 14
Keyboard: Kurzweil MIDIBoard
Software: VEP 5, Logic, DP8, Cubase, Sonar, Audition 3.0, Sibelius 6.2 & 7.0, NI Komplete 7
Old 02-10-2010, 01:21 PM
Gold Member

Bryan2449 is on a distinguished road

I don't, sorry. It's hard to find SONAR specific help around here I've noticed. I conducted a survery on this forum when I was trying to decide whether to go with SONAR or CUBASE or OTHER and it was about 60% / 30% / 10% respectively but it seems like most SONAR users are either having the same problems I do or there is no solution to it. So I figured I check out the SONAR forums. They are largely full of wannabe rockstars and dj disco masters so it's been hard getting Sonar-specific East-West VI help anywhere really.

Don't get me started on the "user's manuals." Sonar doesn't even come with one. Yes, it has a .txt help file you can access through the program but it's pretty useless. East-West's manuals are not much better but at least they have them. I heard a rumor somewhere that there used to be a very helpful ~100 page user-created manual for EWQL VIs / PLAY floating around but you had to give a secret handshake or something to get your hands on it.

Software: Sonar 8 Producer, EWQLSO and EWQL Goliath, Omnisphere, VSL

Last edited by Bryan2449; 02-10-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:34 PM

mcdoma2000 is on a distinguished road

In fairness, SONAR does come with a 1500+ page manual - it's just in PDF format. It should be on the install disks somewhere...

Mark
DAW: SONAR Producer Edition X3
Notation: Sibelius 7
Old 02-10-2010, 01:48 PM

Yeah, the Sonar PDF manual is the one you're after. I copied it off the DVD install disk and it's much more useful than the Help file. There are a lot of helpful folks on the forum, but the signal to noise ratio is pretty low, as you observed. The drum map utility in Sonar is pretty pathetic. To Sonar: Windows 3.0 called and they want their UI back. It's a usability nightmare.

I've seen folks share drum maps over there in the past (someone did all of NI's Battery and shared that, for example). Wouldn't surprise me if someone has made these for SD or Goliath.

I've found that once they are created, drum maps are a pretty useful way of triggering non-percussion keyswitches--a kludge, to be sure, but one that actually works pretty well. I have all of Jonathan Loving's default Lite KS EWI's mapped out as drum maps, if anyone wants them. Note that these are not drum maps for drums, but for all the KS articulations. I'll put together a screenshot or template fly-through movie if there's some interest in this technique.

OS: Win7 x64, Mac Lion | RAM: 12GB | Library Drives: 4 x 500GB Seagate | Sound Card: Emu 1820, Saffire Pro 14
Software: VEP 5, Logic, DP8, Cubase, Sonar, Audition 3.0, Sibelius 6.2 & 7.0, NI Komplete 7
Old 02-10-2010, 02:10 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdoma2000 View Post
In fairness, SONAR does come with a 1500+ page manual - it's just in PDF format. It should be on the install disks somewhere...

Mark
Yes, that must be correct as I've heard it from several people. I've just never been able to find it, even when directly pointed to it's file location on the disk.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:20 PM
Silver Member

Kenn is on a distinguished road

Treppenwitz,

It was just last week that I searched here, the Cakewalk forums, and Google for EWQL drum maps for use in Sonar. I was particularly looking for drum maps to be used for keyswitching but I didn't have any luck, so I started making my own.

I agree with you, using drum maps for programming keyswitches is very useful and I'm quite surprised that the technique isn't more widely used. (Or people just aren't talking about it!)

For lack of a better term I've been calling them "KS maps" and have already completed a set for the Gypsy library and I'm currently working on Silk. After I complete all the KS maps I do plan on making a standard drum map for SD2 and I'd be happy to share it with you when I'm done.

If you're inclined to make a video, I say go for it. Others that aren't familiar with the technique might find it handy, plus the same idea can be used with any sequencer that supports drum mapping.

I may be wrong, but don't the Colossus/Goliath drum sets use standard GM Midi mappings? It's been awhile since I've used those drums, but I don't recall ever having the need for a custom drum map. Or maybe the mappings have changed in the Play version?

If you're willing to share your KS maps for EWQLSO I'd love to see what you've done. Likewise, if you'd like to try my KS maps for any of the EWQL libraries listed in my signature I can share them with you as I complete them.

-----
Bryan, try putting in your Sonar install DVD and doing a search of "*.pdf" (without the quotes) on that drive. It's on there somewhere.

Win 7 x64Sonar X3 ProducerSibelius 6Vegas Pro 12Hollywood Strings, Brass & Orchestral Woodwinds Diamond
QL SpacesSO Platinum Plus SC+VotA Solo ViolinSilk Gypsy RA VoPStormdrum 2 GoliathThe Dark Side
Pianos PlatinumMinistry of Rock 2Superior Drummer 2 Addictive Drums 2 Sample Modeling LibrariesKomplete 7
Old 02-11-2010, 05:23 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treppenwitz View Post
I have all of Jonathan Loving's default Lite KS EWI's mapped out as drum maps, if anyone wants them. Note that these are not drum maps for drums, but for all the KS articulations. I'll put together a screenshot or template fly-through movie if there's some interest in this technique.
I'll watch any movie that involves SONAR and EWQL VIs.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:16 PM

I'll see if I can put together a video this weekend. In fact I think that would be an interesting thread in general: Template Show & Tell with screenshots and/or video fly-throughs, etc. I always get inspired watching other workflows.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:52 PM
Gold Member

you'd be amazed how little of this there is for sonar. look forward to it.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenn View Post
Treppenwitz,

It was just last week that I searched here, the Cakewalk forums, and Google for EWQL drum maps for use in Sonar. I was particularly looking for drum maps to be used for keyswitching but I didn't have any luck, so I started making my own.

I agree with you, using drum maps for programming keyswitches is very useful and I'm quite surprised that the technique isn't more widely used. (Or people just aren't talking about it!)

For lack of a better term I've been calling them "KS maps" and have already completed a set for the Gypsy library and I'm currently working on Silk. After I complete all the KS maps I do plan on making a standard drum map for SD2 and I'd be happy to share it with you when I'm done.

If you're inclined to make a video, I say go for it. Others that aren't familiar with the technique might find it handy, plus the same idea can be used with any sequencer that supports drum mapping.
I cast around for a long time, too, before I decided it was time to just bite the bullet and make them myself. I will try to get a video together this weekend and post to Youtube. The template is a work in progress.

I may even start posting a Youtube "Video Bug Report" of stuff like the Drum Map manager to try and turn up the heat on Cakewalk over the abysmal state of some of their neglected features. I test software for a living, and I'm sure I could easily log 50 bugs on that feature alone. I think the time is ripe for a DAW maker to integrate keyswitch management into their feature set. Maybe someone has done this already, but in the mean time, drum maps will work in Sonar.

Quote:
I may be wrong, but don't the Colossus/Goliath drum sets use standard GM Midi mappings? It's been awhile since I've used those drums, but I don't recall ever having the need for a custom drum map. Or maybe the mappings have changed in the Play version?
Many of the Goliath drum sets are standard GM-mapped drums, but not all. Just thought I'd see if anyone created any, but this is a very low priority for me.

Quote:
If you're willing to share your KS maps for EWQLSO I'd love to see what you've done. Likewise, if you'd like to try my KS maps for any of the EWQL libraries listed in my signature I can share them with you as I complete them.
I will get the Sonar KS maps (I call them this as well) packaged and put them on a public share this weekend.

Closed Thread