Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Music Cafe
Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 05:14 PM
Gold Member

constaneum is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to constaneum
Default Grand Palace's Secret Labyrinth

"Grand Palace's Secret Labyrinth" is a remix version of one of my past works for Kingdom Hearts Fan Made Album which is called "Forbidden City". Samples used for this remix piece are East West's Goliath, Stormdrum2, RA and Native Instrument's Kore Player (most of the synths). Feel free to comment on the track.

"Grand Palace's Secret Labyrinth" - Remix of "Forbidden City"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiaURopFcOE (use HQ quality / 480p)
Old 02-27-2010, 06:20 PM
Platinum Member

MPDmike is on a distinguished road

I listened to your piece three times, and it is put together very competently. But for me there is not enough light and shade in this music. it sounds too much in one style and it is too overpowering. The first minute said everything I think. After that it was mostly repetition.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:12 PM
Gold Member

not enough light and shade? mind to explain more on that a bit? =) I have to agree that it's a bit too overpowering. LOL Actually, i tried to implement The Black Mages' style in this track a bit. Repetition eh. hmm.....Do you have any suggestion on improving this piece? Thanks. ^_^
Old 03-02-2010, 03:40 PM
Platinum Member

OK constaneum, I have revived your thread, I will come back and tell you what I think, but I was hoping for some more contributions from others. You can see that there are not many people interested in your piece - that says a lot I think.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:41 PM
Gold Member

well... Music isn't something created to satisfy everyone's taste. I have friends who love this piece and friends who dislike. It's all base on personal preferences and tastes. Anyway, my style is more towards Japanese game music. Sometimes, I like creating something like this which is some kind of a fussion style.

Last edited by constaneum; 03-02-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:06 PM
Platinum Member

Well constaneum, I can be a bit more precise. Up until around 1:25 to 1:30 I was loving your piece, and then I thought it was no longer unique or interesting after that. You know your own music better than I do. After about 1:30 you have lost that great opening feeling of Eastern sounds. It just becomes ordinary after that point.

I would suggest using more SD2 percussion after 1:30, and developing a much more creative Eastern sounding drama. You have elements of it there already, but for me it just sounds like you miss that full passion of how your piece should end. I think you already have this ending in your mind, but you were afraid to express it. The real ending would have been frightening to Western ears I believe.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:55 PM
Gold Member

Thanks for the comments. For me, i tend to twist things a bit in my music. It's like twisting the plot of a movie. For example, a plot that most people were expecting like "this guy and this girl ends up living happily ever after" turns out to be either one of them died in a tragic accident, resulting in having the other one grieving and people will say " HEY !! That's not how it's suppose to end. it's suppose to be happy ending". Haha. Anyway, this peace's original mix is more Eastern sounding but with lousy quality instruments. The remix version is more towards fusion style which i got the inspiration from The Black Mages' remix version of Final Fantasy 8's "Maybe I'm a Lion". Maybe that kind of approach makes you felt you've lost the Eastern Sounds?
Old 03-02-2010, 08:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by constaneum View Post
Thanks for the comments. For me, i tend to twist things a bit in my music. It's like twisting the plot of a movie. For example, a plot that most people were expecting like "this guy and this girl ends up living happily ever after" turns out to be either one of them died in a tragic accident, resulting in having the other one grieving and people will say " HEY !! That's not how it's suppose to end. it's suppose to be happy ending". Haha. Anyway, this peace's original mix is more Eastern sounding but with lousy quality instruments. The remix version is more towards fusion style which i got the inspiration from The Black Mages' remix version of Final Fantasy 8's "Maybe I'm a Lion". Maybe that kind of approach makes you felt you've lost the Eastern Sounds?
OK, I listened to the track "Maybe I'm a Lion" by the Black Mages. It sounds much more driving and intense than the piece you have produced here. My advice would be not to try and copy what the Black Mages have done.

You have some good ideas in that opening minute, and I think you could create something that is your own by developing those ideas. You say that you like to put a "twist" on the story in the music, and I think you can do that in this piece you have written. After 1:30 move onto something different, and show us the twist in the music there. Instead you have given us a couple of minutes imitating Black Mages - I would rather hear what you have to say. Give us your vision of Eastern Rock.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:38 AM
Gold Member

I'm not copying anything from the Black Mages. It's my original melody. It's just that I'll like to learn their style. I'm a self taught musician and mimicing other people's style is a way for me to learn something. Anyway, my version of Eastern rock eh? Hmm....I have no time to rearrange that now due to heavy loads on my engineering projects. Will look into that matter when i'm free.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by constaneum View Post
I'm not copying anything from the Black Mages. It's my original melody.
Sorry, I meant copying the style like you said. There is nothing wrong with imitating a sound to create a new piece, as an exercise, people do that here all the time.

Anyway, I think you need some more opinions, as I am just one person who has listened to your piece.
Closed Thread