Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Hardware
Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 06:16 AM
Silver Member

cnk is on a distinguished road
Default Steinberg MR816 X

Hello all,

I am currently using M-Audio Firewire Solo with my DAW setup. You can see my system information at my signituare below.

I am thinking of buying a new sound-card Steinberg MR816 X (http://www.steinberg.net/en/products...x_details.html).

I am mostly using my setup for composing music with East West Samples rather than recording live vocals and instruments.

So will I see an increase on sound quality and on performance with this new sound card during composing with EW libraries on Cubase 5? What do you think? If this new sound card has only better sound quality on recording than my current sound card then it may not make me happy

Because I saw an information about recording abilities of this card for musicians/producers & for studio usage. Here is a summary paragraph from the web site:

"Musicians/producers
Any musician or producer already using Cubase and looking to add a recording interface need look no further. MR816 X is ideal for recording bands in rehearsal rooms or live gigs with a laptop, or building up a dedicated project studio or recording space. Full integration into the Cubase user interface means that operating the MR816 X requires very little or no learning – all functions and features are in the places any Cubase owner expects to find them. The intelligent plug and play handling means that Cubase automatically detects any attached MR816 X hardware. And because the REV-X runs as VST3 plug-in, this excellent reverb is available during mixing in Cubase, often replacing the need to purchase an additional DSP card."

"Studios
Excellent sound, great stacking options and a smooth, fast workflow are among the top priorities for studios using MR and Cubase as recording and production solution for their business. Connections required for studios like Wordclock, S/PDIF and ADAT are onboard, with the hardware inserts offering an ideal way of integrating boutique hardware units in the software realm. Features like Quick Connect allow on-the-fly rerouting by simply pushing a button on the MR front panel. MR816 X also adds REV-X, a high-quality reverb FX plug-in to Cubase. Eight channel outputs offer full support for surround productions up to 7.1, ideally complemented by Steinberg’s fully multi-channel architecture and the Control Room features in both Cubase and Nuendo. "

Thanks
Cenk

Software: Windows 8 64 bit ,Cubase 7 64 bit, Steinberg VSTs, Vienna Ensemble Pro, Hollywood Strings & Brass Diamond, EWQLSO Gold, Pianos Gold, Symphonic Choirs, SD2 + Pro, MOR, Goliath, Gypsy, RA, Silk, VOP, The Dark Side, QL Solo Violin

Hardware: PC1: Intel i7 2600 CPU, 16GB DDR3 Memory, Sata 3 120 GB SSD + 4 HDs, Steinberg/Yamaha MR816X DSP Sound Card & CC121 Controller, M-Audio Keystation, Event Tuned Reference Monitors, Rode NT2-A - PC2: Intel Quad, 8GB, 3 HDs

Last edited by cnk; 03-11-2010 at 06:31 AM.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:07 AM
Silver Member

Any ideas?

Software: Windows 8 64 bit ,Cubase 7 64 bit, Steinberg VSTs, Vienna Ensemble Pro, Hollywood Strings & Brass Diamond, EWQLSO Gold, Pianos Gold, Symphonic Choirs, SD2 + Pro, MOR, Goliath, Gypsy, RA, Silk, VOP, The Dark Side, QL Solo Violin

Hardware: PC1: Intel i7 2600 CPU, 16GB DDR3 Memory, Sata 3 120 GB SSD + 4 HDs, Steinberg/Yamaha MR816X DSP Sound Card & CC121 Controller, M-Audio Keystation, Event Tuned Reference Monitors, Rode NT2-A - PC2: Intel Quad, 8GB, 3 HDs
Old 03-15-2010, 03:59 PM
Gold Member

Johnny_B is on a distinguished road

Check out google.com and type in "Steinberg MR816 X + Gearslutz +review"

People have stated very positive reviews and for sure it will have
better ADA conversion (better sound quality) than what you have.

Check this link here as well:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-...back-test.html

However I did notice a few issues owners complained about.

Last edited by Johnny_B; 03-15-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:31 AM
Silver Member

Thanks for the answer and for the link Johnny. You helpmed me much. I think I'll get one today I'll post the results here...

Thanks again.
Cenk

Old 03-19-2010, 02:33 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_B View Post
Check out google.com and type in "Steinberg MR816 X + Gearslutz +review"

People have stated very positive reviews and for sure it will have
better ADA conversion (better sound quality) than what you have.

Check this link here as well:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-...back-test.html

However I did notice a few issues owners complained about.
I have one more question;

You said " for sure it will have better ADA conversion (better sound quality) than what you have", so will I get a better audio quality when I export (audio mixdown) a Cubase project (midi tracks) created with East West libraries to WAV?

I am working on composing with EW libraries instead of live recording.

Thanks.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:05 AM
Diamond Member

Pietro is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Pietro

I think it doesn't matter with midi that much. Cubase doesn't use audio interface during mixdowns (unless you use onboard effects from that interface). It just calculates the sum of tracks.

You could however somewhat hear the difference on output, because of the digital to analog conversion.

But I think ad/da converters mostly matter on recording analog to digital. And samples are already digital, so there is only that digital to analog way, which, as explained above, doesn't improve the sound, but can improve the listening.

Someone correct me, if I'm wrong.

- Piotr
PS. If you get this interface, I'll be next to ask how you like it.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:47 AM
Platinum Member

christerholm is an unknown quantity at this point

If I ever get a Firewire sound device, this is what I have been considering.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:21 PM
Gold Member

Johnny_B is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnk View Post
I have one more question;

You said " for sure it will have better ADA conversion (better sound quality) than what you have", so will I get a better audio quality when I export (audio mixdown) a Cubase project (midi tracks) created with East West libraries to WAV?

I am working on composing with EW libraries instead of live recording.

Thanks.
Hey cnk, sorry for not responding, I've been away.
Pietro is correct.

Since you record from the use of a VST (already digital) then mix down to a CD format
you're not going to hear an astronomical difference of sound quality, if any.

The value I see in the Steinberg (with just one unit) is the direct latency free monitoring,
exceptional build quality (made in Japan) and stable drivers from (reported from owners)

If you ever use the Pres:
The Pres most notably are better and I think you get a higher S/N db level with the Steinberg unit.

The idea is to reproduce the sound as closely as possible without colouring it.
I also think you can hot swap the Steinberg whereas I've been told M-audio warns about doing this.

GL.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:41 AM
Silver Member

Thank you Johnny & Pietro for the answers (Christerholm, please read my comments below if you are thinking to buy one )

I bought one MR 816 X and one CC121. 2 great products from Steinberg (Yamaha actually)!

Pietro, the sound quality difference between MR 816 and M-Audio Firewire Solo is amazing. You were right, thanks to D/A converter the listening quality is awesome. So mixing the projects getting easier and the result is much better!!! Also CC121 makes life easier! I am totally contorlling Cubase 5 over CC121. Pietro, as far as I know you are using Cubase 5 like me and if you will continue using Cubase I guess you'll love these toys! They are both integrating with Cubase and working flawlessly. At the end of the day I am producing my music easier, with more fun and with a great sound quality!

Cenk

Last edited by cnk; 03-21-2010 at 06:45 AM.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:03 AM
Diamond Member

Pietro is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Pietro

Thanks for the info .

Have you had any crashes in Cubase with this interface lately? I'm thinking about a situation where with my current E-MU 0404 USB I have to power it down and up after Cubase crashes to make it work again, which is unsettling.

Also, how's the latency, asio performance?

- Piotr
Closed Thread