Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)
Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 08:39 PM
Silver Member

MWallis is on a distinguished road
Default CPU is maxing out!

I'm very frustrated! I just spent a lot of time and money hunting down and finally buying the exact RAM for my specific computer, now my CPU is being taxed even more than it was before. I didn't find that out about RAM and how more of it will actually make your CPU work harder becase it having to receive more information at a higher speed, until just this morning. Well, THAT makes perfect SENSE NOOOOW!

This is a song just loaded; 8 tracks (or instances or events or whatever we're all supposed to know them as) of Play up and the CPU usage is hovering at around 10%.

This is a song in process with 11 tracks going and the CPU is being maxed out. Chirping and stuttering .... It's awful.

I went in to all the engines and disabled all the reverbs and stereo splitting and got CPU usage to hover, throughout, at around 37% without peaking.

My buddy asked me what I had the buffering set to and I said, "What?" I know I should know what that is but I don't. I stop and think about it and I simply just do NOT know how to get the best results out of the gear I have because I don't know what anything fricken MEANS!!!

Should I upgrade my CPU? CAN I even do that?

I've spent the last two years preparing and saving and getting what I thought would do the job with the little money I had/have and I just want to stinken hit record and play!
I guess i'm just venting but gimany christmas, if its not one thing its another.

ANYone have ANY advise? Books? I don't know.

It just seems like the closer I get to the gear I think I need, the more I dislike my day job and the longer I'll have to be doing it.

Thanks for letting me rant.
BOSS DR-660 / Roland JV-90 / Misc. Ibanez and Fender Guitars and Basses

SOFTWARE:
OS: Windows XP 64bit Professional / Presonus Studio One Pro / Ableton Live 8
EWQL: SO Platnum Plus /SC w-VOTA bundle /Pianos /RA /Gypsy /SD2 /MOR1 /NI Battery 3

MOST IMPORTANTLY:
A cute little loving Wife with a hell of a lot of patience and understanding
Old 04-11-2011, 12:55 AM
Diamond Member

interpolate is on a distinguished road

Sometimes you have to tell your host to use extra resources. So if it was optimised to run with lesser, you could be limiting the potential & hitting a metaphoric brick-wall.

First thing to check are ASIO or equivalent sound driver settings. This is a measure of the maximum sounds processed every second. Eg. 23ms is the equivalent of 1024 voices at 44.1KHz/16-bit. Since you may be using 24-bit samples, the latency should be 50% less than 16-bit. I'm not sure what program you are using however I use 256 or 512 samples as a buffer.

They may be a data cache used for streaming and within PLAY there is a engine setting which you can optimise for less or more sounds.

Anyway I hope this helps you make a start to the labyrinth.

Update coming over the next few months:

Obligatory software list: Sonar X1 Producer, EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Gold, EWQL Symphonic Choir Bundle, QL Spaces, VSL Suite, EWQL Hollywood Brass/Strings Gold, QL Solo Violin, Universal Audio Plug-ins and some other things with knobs and buttons.

Current system: AMD Phenom X6 1090T 3.2GHz, 8GB, 512GB/750GB hard drives and 256GB SSD drive, EMU 1212M, UAD DSP.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:17 PM
Silver Member

MWallis is on a distinguished road

Thanks for responding!

What are you referring to when you say 'host'?

and, how does one go about checking ones sound driver?

and... "They may be a data cache used for streaming and within PLAY there is a engine setting which you can optimise for less or more sounds."
Explain that whole sentence to me, please. then, how do you do that?

Thanks
BOSS DR-660 / Roland JV-90 / Misc. Ibanez and Fender Guitars and Basses

SOFTWARE:
OS: Windows XP 64bit Professional / Presonus Studio One Pro / Ableton Live 8
EWQL: SO Platnum Plus /SC w-VOTA bundle /Pianos /RA /Gypsy /SD2 /MOR1 /NI Battery 3

MOST IMPORTANTLY:
A cute little loving Wife with a hell of a lot of patience and understanding
Old 04-11-2011, 11:31 PM
Platinum˛ Member

aptmusic9 is on a distinguished road

You can get ALOT of mileage by tweaking your system. If you have the wrong settings, a top of the line system could be seriously hindered. Your soundcard, Firestudio, should have a control panel where you can adjust the buffer size. A huge buffer causes too much of a delay and can cause a few bizarre software problems. Too small a buffer and your CPU cant keep up. A number like 512 should be a conservative choice. Raise the buffer if you have a demanding project. PCI cards and extreme high end systems can do numbers like 256, 128, 64, or even 32 buffers on cards that support it, but the only reason to do this is if you are concerned about latency when recording.
Core i7 3930k - ASUS PX79 Pro - 64GB RAM - W7 Pro on 240GB Neutron SSD - RME HDSPe AIO - OCZ RevoDrive 120GB - Crucial RealSSD 256GB - 8 x HDD - Motif XS8 - Focal Solo 6 Be - Cubase 7.0.4 - Sibelius 7 - VE PRO - QL Spaces - Altiverb 6 - Complete EWQL Hollywood Series Diamond - SC - SD2 - EWQL Pianos - MOR - Requiem Choir - VSL SE+ - Symphobia 1 and 2 - True Strike - Pro Tools 10 and 11
Old 04-11-2011, 11:40 PM
Platinum˛ Member

Picking 16-bit when possible should ease CPU load and disk use. Experiment with the play engine setting, since this directly affects how play uses the CPU. Task manager - processes tab is always worth checking to see if somethings hogging CPU.
Core i7 3930k - ASUS PX79 Pro - 64GB RAM - W7 Pro on 240GB Neutron SSD - RME HDSPe AIO - OCZ RevoDrive 120GB - Crucial RealSSD 256GB - 8 x HDD - Motif XS8 - Focal Solo 6 Be - Cubase 7.0.4 - Sibelius 7 - VE PRO - QL Spaces - Altiverb 6 - Complete EWQL Hollywood Series Diamond - SC - SD2 - EWQL Pianos - MOR - Requiem Choir - VSL SE+ - Symphobia 1 and 2 - True Strike - Pro Tools 10 and 11
Old 04-11-2011, 11:44 PM
Platinum˛ Member

Yes I know this is my third post in a row....Turn on "multiprocessing" if it is an option in the DAW. Are you hosting multiple patches inside a single PLAY instance? A "multi-timbral" instance? Setting up individual PLAY instances instead might be worth a try.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:38 AM
Diamond Member

interpolate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWallis View Post
Thanks for responding!

What are you referring to when you say 'host'?

and, how does one go about checking ones sound driver?

and... "They may be a data cache used for streaming and within PLAY there is a engine setting which you can optimise for less or more sounds."
Explain that whole sentence to me, please. then, how do you do that?

Thanks
Geek terms alert.

A host is generic name for your sequencer which controls all the sound equipment inputs and outputs such as a MIDI keyboard or say an external mixer. A sequencer in my mind is the track arranging and how the final layout is rendered.

Data Cache could also been known as Disk Cache which is a small file used to store data for temporary use . Another one is a buffer so everything flows better as it just reads from the cache rather than starting a new disk read/write everytime; this improves the disk performance over time.

Besides the optimisations suggested there isn't too much I can suggest at the moment.

Update coming over the next few months:

Obligatory software list: Sonar X1 Producer, EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Gold, EWQL Symphonic Choir Bundle, QL Spaces, VSL Suite, EWQL Hollywood Brass/Strings Gold, QL Solo Violin, Universal Audio Plug-ins and some other things with knobs and buttons.

Current system: AMD Phenom X6 1090T 3.2GHz, 8GB, 512GB/750GB hard drives and 256GB SSD drive, EMU 1212M, UAD DSP.

Closed Thread