Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > The Suggestion Box > PLAY - Suggestions
Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 08:29 AM
Platinum Member

Denny S. is on a distinguished road
Default More intelligence for moved samples

What I'd really like to see with PLAY is more intelligence regarding sample location. I've moved one of my libraries to another HD and whenever I'm opening an older project PLAY will keep asking me where the samples are. Apparently the exact sample location is always written into the saved file, which is frankly the only explanation why the project files are so MASSIVE and saving takes forever.

Then there's another case where I've split the instruments of HOW to multiple drives. Whenever I'm loading an instrument that's located on a different drive than the one previously loaded PLAY will ask me where the instrument is. And that while it's always been on the other drive.

Some automation and a better location system would be really appreciated.

Samplitude 11 Pro
Intel i7 950
48GB DDR3
M-Audio Delta 1010LT
3x 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSDs (Streaming)
3x 1TB WD Black Drives (Storage)
Old 10-15-2012, 04:54 AM
Silver Member

Plasuma!!! is on a distinguished road

+1 for better record keeping and faster save times, haha
Old 10-15-2012, 02:48 PM

Lucas is on a distinguished road

And another +1 for faster saving, whatever the culprit.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:12 AM
Platinum Member

Denny S. is on a distinguished road

Definitely agree with the saving times. There's nothing worse than a one minute autosave hickup in the creative process.

Samplitude 11 Pro
Intel i7 950
48GB DDR3
M-Audio Delta 1010LT
3x 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSDs (Streaming)
3x 1TB WD Black Drives (Storage)
Old 10-16-2012, 04:23 PM
Platinum˛ Member

gstitt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Apparently the exact sample location is always written into the saved file, which is frankly the only explanation why the project files are so MASSIVE and saving takes forever.
That is correct. However, I'm 99% sure you can trick Play by leaving shortcuts or symbolic links where you originally had everything installed.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:29 PM
Platinum˛ Member

gstitt is on a distinguished road

One potential option for faster saves would be another layer of abstraction. Instead of saving all information in every instrument file, there could be something like a "base instrument" file that contains all the sample information for the instrument. Then, the ewi file could simply reference these base files while also saving any changes. The ewi files would then be tiny regardless of the size of the instrument and should save instantly.

Alternatively, ewi files could reference other ewi files, which would achieve the same result.

An additional advantage of this is that you wouldn't have to change all your saved multis every time there is an instrument update. The updates would simply update the base file with new sample information, which would be referenced by user multis.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:49 PM
Gold Member

Jose7822 is on a distinguished road

+ 1,000 for faster saving times. He'll yeah!
ASUS Maximus VI Hero | Intel Core i7 4770K (OC'ed to 4GHz) | 32GB of Corsair Dominator Platinum (2400MHz) | ASUS ATI Radeon HD7790 | Corsair H100i Water Cooler | Corsair HX850 PSU | Windows 7 Pro (SP1) 64 bit | Cubase 7.5 64 bit | RME FireFace UCX | UAD 2 Octo | UAD 2 Quad
Old 11-25-2012, 08:18 PM
Gold Member

Casiquire is on a distinguished road

I agree about being smarter with moving samples around. I thought that it would be simple enough to just "remove" the instrument from the Browser (there is a remove button after all!) and then right click and add a new library, but the remove button doesn't actually seem to do anything! So I checked the manual and it told me to first remove the library then right click and add a new library.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:39 PM
Diamond Member

peter5992 is on a distinguished road

Not sure whether this the same thing, but at least it's very related: I'd like to ability to easily 'switch' the location of samples from one disk to another. To clarify: I have a laptop DAW with three internal drives, two of which are in Raid 0 where my samples are stored. It's pretty full and there is some overflow to an external eSATA drive (also Raid 0). Sometimes I don't want to take the external drive and then it would be nice to switch back to the internal drives where the samples are stored.
Closed Thread