Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)
Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 06:02 AM

tlester is on a distinguished road
Default Sections vs. Solo's?

Hi all -

I'm struggling a bit with wrapping my head around using sections vs. solos. For example... I'm assuming that when I use a layer out of say, "18 Violins" that it's a recording of the entire 1st violin section. Right?

So... by playing one not at a time, I'm actually playing 18 violins. So, what if I wanted to have two 1st violin parts? If I play two lines, then I have 36 1st violins, right? Or do I need to now go and play 9 solo's on one part and 9 on another?

Am I making sense?

-Tom
Old 05-20-2005, 06:19 AM
Platinum Member

Daryl is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlester
Hi all -

I'm struggling a bit with wrapping my head around using sections vs. solos. For example... I'm assuming that when I use a layer out of say, "18 Violins" that it's a recording of the entire 1st violin section. Right?

So... by playing one not at a time, I'm actually playing 18 violins. So, what if I wanted to have two 1st violin parts? If I play two lines, then I have 36 1st violins, right? Or do I need to now go and play 9 solo's on one part and 9 on another?

Am I making sense?

-Tom
Yes, essentially you are correct, however playing 9 solos won't do it as they will all be the same samples. You either have to use some sort of chamber samples with smaller sections to build up the divisi or just put up with 36 1st violins. Actually you could probably make the sections sound a little smaller by layering them with the solo sample.

Daryl
Old 05-20-2005, 08:39 AM
Gold Member

josejherring is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlester
Hi all -

Am I making sense?

-Tom
I know that EWQSO Gold has an 11 violin patch. I use this as the 2nd violin section, or for more realistic div. in the first vlns("two first vln parts").

What I do when I want tutti violins(1st+2nd) is use the 18vln patch then I'll play the same line on a different midi channel using the 11vln patch. Or, I suppose you could just set the two patches to the same midichannel on your kompact or kontact instance.

Either way you'll have a pretty realistic sounding vln tutti. Though the 11vln patch is a tiny bit small for 2nds, so I bumb up the volume(just between you and me )

Cheers,

Jose
Closed Thread