Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)
Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 07:41 AM

--cox-- is on a distinguished road
Default Cubase 6 to 7 update

hi,

I know it's a bit early because cubase 7 is only released for a few days

But is the update to cubase 7 worth 200 euros ? i'm currently using cubase 6

and i would also like to know if there are any specific features u like (and why) that are new in cubase 7..

Please let me know.

Thanks in advance
Old 12-06-2012, 09:34 AM
Platinum Member

MPDmike is on a distinguished road

Impossible to say at this stage. The best place to check is over on the Steinberg forums, where there are lots of posts from people who either love or hate the new version
Old 12-06-2012, 11:16 AM
Diamond Member

Jeff Hayat is on a distinguished road

That's not something that anyone can answer for you, save for yourself. "Worth it" is a relative term, and while it may be worth the money to one person, it may not be to another.

Best thing you can do is have a look at the new features, and see if there is anything there that will make your life easier. If not, there should be a demo sometime in Feb. You can d/l it then, and try it out for yourself, and seeing as tho you already have a dongle, no need to buy one just for the demo.

Cheers.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:18 PM
Platinum Member

chest is on a distinguished road

Like the others said: as ever, whether C6 to C7 is a good change for you depends on which parts of the ever-more-sprawling Cubase you'd use.

There's a glamourised version of what's new in C7 here: http://www.steinberg.net/en/products...whats_new.html

Steinberg's bragging about the new mixer - it's superficially prettier, but you probably can't tell whether it's better or worse to work with til you've tried it. There's a new "channel strip" that they seem to be saying uses old Cubase algorithms (EQs, etc) integrated with more computational efficiency into Cubase.

One Steinberg person wrote on the forum that the reason why the mixer didn't get more attention is that they put a lot of time into the new "chord track" - not clear yet whether or not that's of any use for people with more than basic knowledge of harmony, but perhaps it has something to offer if used in conjunction with other Cubase functions (eg for trying out alternative harmonies quickly and easily?).

Various improvements for those who record audio, including an improved Variaudio.

For MIDI users, there's a new feature that seems to be able to eliminate a problem that some users have always had, where, although a MIDI instrument is played in time with "the click", the MIDI notes are shown early against Cubase's MIDI tempo grid. (One theory is that musicians unconsciously compensate for the lag (latency) between pressing a key and hearing the sound, and that this has in the past meant that Cubase logged the MIDI note when it was actually played (early), rather than when the sound emerged.)

For those still using WXP: for C6 WXP isn't "supported" but people do use it in WXP; however, C7 won't even install in WXP.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:19 PM
Platinum Member

christerholm is an unknown quantity at this point

On Steinberg's forum there is a long thread about how the new GUI basically kills all workflow and they are calling it "Teletubbies / Fisher Price" style. That the new mixer becomes useless because you can't even properly use it. I haven't seen it myself, but that's the word there.

http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewt...1b4eff3429eb0d
Old 12-07-2012, 02:39 AM
Silver Member

SJK is on a distinguished road

To me the mixer is kind of a turn-off. We'll have to see how it handles. But I would love to get the new ASIO guard function. This would make life with larger templates so much easier.

It basically increases the buffer size for playback-only tracks and keeps the active record enabled track at low latency. You can play VIs with less delay and still not use up all your CPU.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:29 AM
Silver Member

Benji is on a distinguished road

I've heard that Steinberg asked directly what customers wanted to see in Cubase 7 to make this update, so might not be a bad thing at all, I'm not sure there are huge improvements, but the mixer is more pleasant to look at, more polished and structured (less detailed, more color schemes = better for the eyes) and the Chord Track looks pretty nice, although we composers don't really need it, I think that might be a very handy tool when stuck on a project... After all I'm human, it's my condition to use new tools.
I'll be downloading my upgrade today anyway

Oh btw I've also heard a problem of compatibily between iLok 1 and Cubase 7, it seems that until a next update, Cubase 7 only supports iLok 2 dongles... Needs to be clarified though, I own both iLoks so I'll keep you "updated", if I dare say
http://www.soundsonline-forums.com/s...ad.php?t=43774

Ben

Intel core i7 3930k 3.2Ghz, Motherboard: Asus P9X79 Pro, Memory: 64Gb, x3 Vertex4 SSD, W7 Pro 64bit, RME Fireface UC, Cubase 7, VE PRO 5

PLAY: Hollywood Strings & Brass & Woodwinds Diamond Edition,SO Platinium Plus, VoP, SD2, SD2 Pro, Goliath, RA, SC & VOTA Expansion, Silk, Pianos, Spaces.

Last edited by Benji; 12-07-2012 at 03:35 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:49 AM
Platinum Member

MPDmike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji View Post
it seems that until a next update, Cubase 7 only supports iLok 2 dongles...
Not true. I only have iLok ver 1 and I am getting my EastWest stuff to run without any problems.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:33 AM
Gold Member

NGPixel is on a distinguished road

As I stated in another thread, Cubase 7 + iLok 1 + EW works perfectly fine. This issue only applies to some very old plugins.

Hollywood Strings Diamond, Hollywood Brass Diamond, Hollywood Orchestral Woodwinds Diamond,
Symphonic Orchestra Gold + Close Mics, Symphonic Choirs,
Pianos Gold, Stormdrum 2, MOR, MOR 2, Gypsy, Silk, QL Spaces
Old 12-09-2012, 12:53 PM
Silver Member

wcreed51 is on a distinguished road

I thought Steinberg used (and owned) eLicenser, not iLok. When I've looked at demo versions in the past, that's what was used for the demo license...
Kontakt, VSL VI, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choir and Pianos
Closed Thread