Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)

Old 06-24-2019, 02:10 AM

darkneo57 is on a distinguished road
Default note repetition problem - strings sustained patches HS

Hi, I'm French, piano teacher so sorry for my English. I use Hs Diamond for six months, all my music is already written but I encounter a lot of problems with Hollywood strings.

For the accompaniment of the main theme, in the strings section, when there are repeated notes in one of the voices, it did not work in a single track because I could not make the notes overlap. So, for repeated notes, I used a second track that plays the repeated note, the first note being played by the first track. I was thus able to creat an overlap between the notes, the sound is more convincing but I find that it is insufficient.

could someone tell me if this is the right way to do it ? Are there other ways?

For the legato patch, I heard that there was a trick with the sustain pedal.

It's really a hassle. Thank you very much for your help, especially to those who have a lot of experience and have certainly encountered all these problems at the beginning. Thank you so much.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:37 PM
Platinum Member

Dominik Raab is on a distinguished road

As far as I'm aware, sustain patches are usually used for "pads" (held chords) in the background; melodic lines should always be done with a legato patch, as far as I'm concerned. Loading multiple legato patches of the same instrument and type in the same instance does not require more resources (the samples are only loaded once) - maybe you could try, for three-part chords, to load three legato patches and use three tracks, one for each voice?

In legato patches, holding the sustain pedal is the way to go for repeated notes, even better in an "RR" patch - round robin samples for more 'humanisation.'
Old 06-25-2019, 02:06 AM

Hi Dominik Raab, thanks for your answer. As you said, I used the sustain patches for pads in the background, and that to accompany my violin main theme using legato patch. As the tempo is slow the chords last a long time, I had to use the sustain patch and not the legato patch. In these chords, there are some notes repeated in different voices, hence my problem.

and so you say that for the repetitions with sustain patches the trick of the sustain pedal is better than the use of two tracks for repeated notes?

Again, thank you very much.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:20 AM

Please help. No Korben Dallas here ?

Tags
repetition sustain